Reaction score
Is 5 amps enough to run the following:
2 60 watt unility lights
1 set of string lights
1 guru
small radio
knife charger
and maybe a box fan

At some point they will probably all be on at the same time. If not, I'll need to order more juice.

amps = watts/volts

you need to look at each item you plan on running. somewhere on the item (if it's UL listed) it will list the number of watts that it uses. if it only lists the amps it uses and its drawing 110 (which it will be if you're plugging it into something in America) then multiple the amps times 110 to get the total watts.

add up all the wattage you have, divide by 110 (voltage in America) and that will tell you how many watts you are drawing.

I use the opposite when trying to figure out how much my generator can run. 5000 max, about 3250 comfortably. So I take all the amps multiple it by 110 and know if I have to unplug something!

Also, 5 amps isn't much, but it goes without saying, make sure you are using an extension cord rated to carry that much juice or your equipment will all be thirsty.

you should be fine with that kind of load, most of the stuff you are running is actually DC, so it's just switching supplies. I ran 2 fans, and rope lights on my inverter when the genny at Fairbanks, IN failed this weekend. We use florescent drop lights for the utility stuff since they do not draw a lot. The paramount thing to keep in mind is if your power is far from your site be sure to use good extension cords, not the 14/3 or 16/3 cords you find at walmart, make the investment into some 12/3 cords from Home depot. I have entertainment grade 10/3 AC cords I use and at contests like the Royal I use 200' with little more than .5 volts drop and they never get hot.

good luck

it's right after utility light in the dictionary :mrgreen:

i have ran my guru and three lights and four fans and a string light and the big radio fine on it

the microwave killed it
that poped the bracker real quick
york

It's not so much of a question of the cord. I didn't purchase extra electricity in Raytown this weekend. The spot comes with 5 amps, 20 amps cost $20 more. When I signed up I didn't have a Guru, didn't know my brother would be charging his knife, etc. All in all, all the items I listed shouldn't take much juice. I'm not whipping out the Craftsman table saw or Peavy amps.

have you ever seen the emegrency car charger that pluges in to you 12 in your car your guru can run on that as an back up if you need they have an 12 adapter that you can get and run off your car 12 cig liter plug in

york

Charge the knife during the day when there light and use the fan. When night come the light go on the the knife is charged and it get cooler so the fans off.

Back