• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

shake it up??

2Fat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So many folks that cook alot seem to be depending on muscle memory and repetition when cooking at contests just through the familiarity of doing this all again and again and again---how about shaking it up some by drawing the order of meat turnins at the cooks meeting????

Are you trying to kill me?!?

There was a one day local cook-off to benefit Scottie's foundation last year and turn ins started at 2pm. i was screwed up all day!

Damn I finally get the order of events and you wanna go messing with em ? You retired guys are just dang mean .

I can shake it up enough of my own, thanks. Not sure we have ever replicated a recipe twice, or used a cooker more than 2 comps in a row.

Until I get my act back together, I will stick with the standard times.
Turn in times are about the only constant we know.

Matt

So many folks that cook alot seem to be depending on muscle memory and repetition when cooking at contests just through the familiarity of doing this all again and again and again---how about shaking it up some by drawing the order of meat turnins at the cooks meeting????

Great idea!

I admit it, I rely on muscle memory. From when I clean the cutting board between turn-ins to when I sharpen my carving knife. My team is my wife and I most of the time. We take our 2 little boys to EVERY competition. They are 5 and 3 years old. You want to try shaking things up a bit....make everyone chase a pair of young hyper kids during turn in's.

It really would not make that much of a difference in my opinion. Longs cooks are ready and waiting, and Chicken and ribs times could simply be pushed out if needed. Maybe an hour extra sleep?

Once things change to allow more sleep means more booze the night before.

no problem Buzz! I do enough non sanctioned events during the season that im kinda used to things being a bit mixed up :)

p.s never relized how many Backwoods you got..:clap:

I don't really think it would make much of a difference. I'd like to see a specific chicken part drawn a week or two before the contest though.

Works for me...keeps the ol' gray matter workin'...:becky:

Do you people have no respect for organization?:boxing: BBQ would be complete chaos without order. :tsk:

I'd be up for it, but of course that's because I'm not one of the muscle memory types. Just seeing teams get confused at The Jack because of the extra serving and the 30 minute shift is entertaining.

On the issue of sleep, I'll take this as an opportunity to repeat my suggestion of moving Ribs to be the last item turned in. That might allow ppl who get up early just to put ribs on the smoker to get an extra hour.

dmp

My cookin` timelines are ingrained in my brain muscle...shiftin` a turn in time is just a matter of shifting the startin` time...no biggee. I can see how it my be a pain for folks using one or two cookers though...

I admit it, I rely on muscle memory. From when I clean the cutting board between turn-ins to when I sharpen my carving knife. My team is my wife and I most of the time. We take our 2 little boys to EVERY competition. They are 5 and 3 years old. You want to try shaking things up a bit....make everyone chase a pair of young hyper kids during turn in's.

HELL NO :hand:

Back