MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #46
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
Scottie

It has been years since I have seen a DQ for sculpting or marking but when you think about it, any new presentation would be marking right? That is if you know who the team is. No garnish in this world of parsley could be considered marking. Always go on the side of the cook, unless you mold the pork in the form of CS.com I guess you are safe .:) Ice Cream scoops are legal, jello molds are not.
So what is the difference with a ice cream scoop and a jello mold? I mean, I know the difference. But according to the BOD, what is the difference as you guys are the one's that enforce the rules...

Quau was DQ'd at a contest in 2008 in pork...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #47
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
So what is the difference with a ice cream scoop and a jello mold? I mean, I know the difference. But according to the BOD, what is the difference as you guys are the one's that enforce the rules...

Quau was DQ'd at a contest in 2008 in pork...
I honestly don't know what the difference is, that was a BOD ruling before I was on the board so I never heard the discussion, only the results as a rep. A jello mold has an actual form where an ice cream scoop makes it round???? YMHO - I have seen small dixie cups used just to make them uniform, no distinct form, not dq'd. I have been a rep where Quau competed and he did the right thing, came to me prior to the turnin and asked if what he was doing was legal. If you push the limit check with the rep first. By the way I was fine with his chicken entry.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #48
Ponderosa BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Because I do enjoy the challenge I'm a one man team I luv the competition BBQ enviroment at contest. It right up my alley I have met alot of friends competing it is like a my 2nd family.
It would be nice at times to have a partner to cook with but I yet to find any close family or friend who is as dedicated as I am when I need to go I go I can't have any here one day and not the next I can do bad by myself.
Ponderosa BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #49
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa BBQ View Post
Because I do enjoy the challenge I'm a one man team I luv the competition BBQ enviroment at contest. It right up my alley I have met alot of friends competing it is like a my 2nd family.
It would be nice at times to have a partner to cook with but I yet to find any close family or friend who is as dedicated as I am when I need to go I go I can't have any here one day and not the next I can do bad by myself.

I agree Moe. Probably why I do it on my own as well. Granted, I have my girls and mys sister with ibn the summer, but otherwise, I would rather do it on my own, than to count on someone and they let me down.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #50
Ponderosa BBQ

For sure bud see you guys at the banquet will bring some cigars peace.
Ponderosa BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #51
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa BBQ View Post
Good answer. Glad you enjoy it so much and have the ability to do what you enjoy.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #52
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchovendude View Post
I don't know. It didn't make my turn ins look any better!
OMG! Thank you for that! That crap was premeditated!! You had to plan that one out to pull it off.
BTW - How were the nuggs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Mini Loaf pans.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=109325880

"Why should man copy-when he can create?"
When I saw Myron using the muffin pans, my first thought was why in the hell would you want a round thigh, even if they are uniform?? A small rectangular pan makes way more sense if you're going to try it at all in my worthless opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Here is Jacks Old South chicken scores from July 2009 to end of season. As Myron said on the show a new and/or recent technique that he was doing (which is why I only pulled from 7/09-present). I'll let you be the judge... This info was from the Pickled Pig site. I'll let you all decide.....

Results History for Chicken Category

Date ContestPlace PP Power Ranking Points
11/21/09 Plant City Pig Jam - Plant City, FL 20 of 33
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 50 of 81
10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 261 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 18 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 17 of 59
08/29/09 Music City BBQ - Nashville, TN 17 of 36
08/15/09 Pigs & Peaches BBQ Contest & Festival - Kennesaw, GA 13 of 42
08/01/09 Dillard Bluegrass & Barbeque Festival - Dillard, GA 20 of 57
07/11/09 SC Festival of Discovery - Greenwood, SC 38 of 58
All talk & no walk.
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #53
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
All talk & no walk.
MM did get 5th at Mesquite, before he DQ'd himself.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #54
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKC View Post
MM did get 5th at Mesquite, before he DQ'd himself.

lol, alright, mostly talk & rarely walk...

Wasn't bashin' the guy per se, but if you're going to run your mouth about anything, then you'd better be prepared to demonstrate real world results when required, right? Especially if you're going to get in someone else's face for shiggin' an idea that you don't have any intellectual property rights to.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that Myron has accomplished far more that I could ever dream of in competition BBQ, and much respect for that, but how the heck does he do so well in other categories and quite often tank in 1?

My food isn't always right where I want it to be, there are absolutely days where something goes wrong and so you present what you have... but it baffles me that some almost seem to have concluded that XXX category is their weak spot and will remain as such, just as long as YYY category remains their strongest...

Not bashing, I guess I just have too limited of expirence to understand or maybe I'm not seeing the whole pic...

Pretty sure this thread is now completly derailed, I'll shut up now.
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #55
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

You do all realize that this is a huge practical joke that Myron is playing on all the Shiggers out there. Myron is probably laughing his arse off right now over all the folks that are trying to copy something he's probably never done and never would do.
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #56
JayAre
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D's BBQ View Post
You do all realize that this is a huge practical joke that Myron is playing on all the Shiggers out there. Myron is probably laughing his arse off right now over all the folks that are trying to copy something he's probably never done and never would do.
I had that same thought...
JayAre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #57
Dutchovendude
Got Wood.

Since a few of you liked my chicken turn in, here is my (Mc) rib turn in.
I created these for a joke on another website.
By the way, the kids ate them and said the real deals tasted much better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2725.jpg (56.5 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (54.2 KB, 218 views)
Dutchovendude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #58
bingo1912
Take a breath!

Is this the same Myron I think you are talkin about?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #59
Is It Ready Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D's BBQ View Post

Bingo!

[B]XL Green Egg[/B]
[B]Medium Spicewine[/B]
[B]26.75 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]22.5 Weber Kettle[/B]
[B]Is It Ready Yet? BBQ Team[/B]
Is It Ready Yet? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 AM   #60
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
If you push the limit check with the rep first.
This is great advice! Even though our turn in was 100% legal, take it from the Polocks, we learned the hard way.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote