KCBS Comp Gas Question

Countryhb

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I realize LP/gas isn't allowed to cook with, but are there any rules against using it to start your fire???

you can use it to start the fire... propane can not be used while contest meat is in the cooker at any time...

A forum will get you opinions.

The KCBS rules state that it is OK to start your fire with gas.

I tried to do a quote for you, but they have gone to PDF and made it tough.

Just refer to the rules for the correct answer.

TIM

Just be sure and unhook the propane hose from the tank after the fire is buring well.

Thats what I do.

Just be sure and unhook the propane hose from the tank after the fire is buring well.

Thats what I do.

And before you put anything in the smoker, just so no one starts thinking anything is wrong.
Dave

A forum will get you opinions.

The KCBS rules state that it is OK to start your fire with gas.

I tried to do a quote for you, but they have gone to PDF and made it tough.

Just refer to the rules for the correct answer.

TIM

You can cut and paste from a pdf

5. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric grills shall not be permitted. Propane is permitted as
fire starter, provided that the competition meat is not in/on the
cooking device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or
forced draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are
permitted, except at the election of the contest organizer.
Fires shall not be built on the ground.

Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or
forced draft are permitted.

Forced Draft...is this different from a blower/stoker? For example, at home if I need to stoke my fire, I use my wet/dry vac on blow. WOuld this fall under an electrical forced draft, or is that something totally different?

Your vac would fall under forced draft... so would a guru, stoker, box fan, hair dryer...

Although I'm not sure if you'd make a lot of friends if you were firing up a shop vac at 3am...

Fark em! LOL. OK, so no electrical forced draft. So a handheld mechanical blower would be acceptable??

I think you misunderstood. Electricity is acceptable as far as powering a fan or other device to force air into the firebox, etc.

Forced drafts ARE permitted. and electircal fans are allowed... that's how the guru and stoker function... both perfectly legal.

You could sit there with a box fan turning it on an off if you wanted... not sure why you would, but it would be legal. And if you were more and 18th century type of guy... you're welcome to operate some bellows too.

Back