• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turkey Pastrami ala Cowgirl

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I made some turkey pastrami this weekend using Cowgirl's recipe that I found over on her awesome blog. Thanks Jeanie, I hope you don't mind! It came out fantastic and I will definitely be doing it again soon.

Not the best pics here, I apologize.

DSC_0001.jpg

I couldn't get the spices to stick too well with the breast right side up, so I smacked it up, flipped it, and rubbed it upside down. :-D Then I covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

DSC_0002.jpg

I smoked it a little hotter then she recommended because I already had the egg going at around 300* for a whole turkey I was doing for a friend. This all happened over Wicked Good and some hickory chunks, I pulled it at 170*.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

We had turkey pastrami Reuben's for dinner.

DSC_0006.jpg

Thanks again Jeanie!

:peace:

That looks really tasty Jason!! Thanks! :hug:
Glad it worked out well for you. :grin:

Hi I went looking for the recipe from the Cowgirl's site but couldn't locate it. Please provide a link or the recipe as it looks great.

OK, now that looks amazing to me. Excuse while I finish my oatmeal while that sandwich is fresh on my mind.

Looks great, but i kind of expected to look a lot pinker - almost hammy. Wouldn't the cure do that, or am i crazy?

Looks great, but i kind of expected to look a lot pinker - almost hammy. Wouldn't the cure do that, or am i crazy?

I'm no curing expert, but I don't think just the quick overnight cure would have that effect. The texture is definitely more firm than usual. More lunch meat like if you follow me. Give it a shot and see what you think. It's super easy. It also made great sandwiches for work this week.

Looks great!!

I have a breast in the freezer that I just fiqured out what to do with it. :thumb:

Some TQ in the cure would give it some color and possibly some hammy flavor but I'm not sure I want to fark with a good thing.

Back