What to do with those grease stains on concrete.

This seems more like a confessions thread.

This summer I put the charcoal chimney on our concrete walkway. Whoops! Took a chunk out and left some carbon stains. Didn't have much luck with the stains but they are finally fading. Fortunately I resisted making it worse with the pressure washer.. I will fill it soon with some patch but I'm not sure how to get a similar texture and color.

Don't know about stains from BBQ, but for stains from car oil I always doused it with Castrol SuperClean, then covered it in kitty litter. Then grind the kitty liter in with your foot until it's just dust. Sweep it up and the stain is gone.

I wound up getting my concrete patio covered with a polyurea/polyaspartic coating a few months ago. Probably too soon to tell how durable it really is, but I've dropped plenty of grease on it and had some rust marks from my Lang 36's wheels come right off from just spraying with a generic surface cleaner and wiping with a paper towel. Cost a couple grand for a little over 300 sq ft, to include a vertical step around the whole patio. So far, it seems worth it. The only thing I need to look out for is dropping any coals or firey logs on it, because it will burn. I've been using an auto drip pan when cooking to help prevent that.

Muriatic acid. Treat the whole area to help even-out the look. Leave it alone for at least a couple months in the weather. Apply concrete sealer.

Muriatic acid. Treat the whole area to help even-out the look. Leave it alone for at least a couple months in the weather. Apply concrete sealer.

I was wandering the same thing...but not sure of the dilution ratio...btw I have not used this...but I have a need to.

Look up TSP (trisodium phosphate). It pulls oil stains out of concrete. May work for grease.

It comes in powder form. You mix it with water and
Put the paste over the stain. When it dries out in a day or so just sweep the powder in the trash. It took a couple applications to pull an oil stain off my concrete.

Decades ago my friends dad used to do the same thing with comet.

If you're planning to live there long term, don't use the chemicals or the power washer. Little by little, year after year - your patio erodes and looks worse and worse. If you're moving in the next 4-6 years - go for it!

Back