High Temp Paint peeling off of 2 month old UDS

J

Jerkeejoe

I built my UDS a couple months ago with a brand new drum. I burned the drum out and hit the remaining exterior paint with a wire brush on an angle grinder to remove fully.

I then washed the drum down and painted with high temp black paint. 3 or 4 coats with time to dry in between coats. I then seasoned the drum a couple days later and have smoked in it a few times.

I went outside to bring it in in anticipation of a rain storm today and noticed paint peeling on the bottom third of the drum. I have no idea what is causing the peeling. Does anyone have any ideas?

Should I go to the trouble to strip it down and repaint the whole thing? I'm thinking about just having the outside sandblasted and powder coated to make it really durable. Thoughts?

What kind of paint... I've had Rustoleum and have had zero problems. Soon i'll sand blast and high temp powder coat...Can't beat that! Total cost 75 dollars.

More often than not "peeling" paint is a prep issue. You said you "washed" before painting -with what? After a soapy water wash, I'll hit it with ospho, wait 24 hours, wipe it down with a good degreaser then paint.
Clarification: the oshpo preps the bare metal or lightly rusty metal like a good etching primer, one of those will work just as well.

Pealing paint= poor prep I noticed you didn't mention a primer coat. If it wasn't necessary they wouldn't make it.

I painted with Rustoleum BBQ paint: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7778830-Enamel-Bar-B-Que-12-Ounce/dp/B0010O0C94"]Rust-Oleum 7778830 High Heat Enamel Spray, Bar-B-Que Black, 12-Ounce - Amazon.com[/ame]

I'm only worried that if I take it for powder coat I will end up with blasting media and/or powder coat inside the drum. Since it's already nicely seasoned, I don't want to mess with the inside of the drum.]

ETA: I degreased before painting.

primer is a great idea...not necessary but a very good idea. Makes coverage way easier. I also wipe down with low odor mineral spirits.

After I burnt mine out I then sprayed it down with a degreaser. Washed it again and let it dry in the sun. I used Rustoleum BBQ grill paint. Didn't use any primer. Worked great. It's held up well for about three years now.

I did one with Paint and one rubbed with Crisco and seasoned on the outside, like I did the inside. The seasoned one turned out well.
(Ya got to season it quick before rust begins)

I built my UDS a couple months ago with a brand new drum. I burned the drum out and hit the remaining exterior paint with a wire brush on an angle grinder to remove fully.

I then washed the drum down and painted with high temp black paint. 3 or 4 coats with time to dry in between coats. I then seasoned the drum a couple days later and have smoked in it a few times.

I went outside to bring it in in anticipation of a rain storm today and noticed paint peeling on the bottom third of the drum. I have no idea what is causing the peeling. Does anyone have any ideas?

Should I go to the trouble to strip it down and repaint the whole thing? I'm thinking about just having the outside sandblasted and powder coated to make it really durable. Thoughts?
Many times this is caused by seasoning the cooker at too high a temperature. High heat paint has to cure before it is at it's strongest and immediately going to 350 degrees or more as I've read that some guys do will cause blistering and peeling. It's really best to season at 225 to 250 and allow the heat resistant properties in the paint to slowly harden and cure. Here's a Q&A on a builder's website, scroll down to the question "How Do I Season My New Smoker Or Grill". http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Directions.html

Back