Anyone know of a bbq sauce that uses Taco Sauce as a base??

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This may sound like a weird question, but does anyone know of a bbq sauce recipe that uses taco sauce as its base? There's a guy around here who sells ribs and chicken on the weekends and he has a pretty unique sauce. Its tangy, sweet, and has a little kick to it. I was trying to figure out what made it spicey and I thought maybe he used red pepper flakes but I didn't see any in the sauce. I know he uses yellow mustard, lots of black pepper, and I assumed a catsup base. It wasn't until tonight when I was eating tacos that the idea hit me that just maybe he was using taco sauce as the base for his sauce. I always get Ortega taco sauce and it has a nice sweet and tangy taste to it. The medium flavor also has a nice kick to it.

So that got me thinking, has anyone heard of anyone using taco saucce as a base for their bbq sauce? I may just have to start working on one. Anyways here are some pics of this guys setup and his ribs and chicken. He's originally from South Carolina.

Sorry for the bad picture with the car blocking the view. I was trying to get a picture from my car without the people noticing me. Its basically just a roof over an outdoor brick pit. Pretty basic.

Patrick

There is a Mexican market out here, they serve excellent ribs and chicken, and they have a good sauce for BBQ as well. I bet it is just good cooking and a sense of how to use pepper sauce well. Most of the taco sauces I know of use nothing more than hot water, onions, garlic and dried chile soaked then blended smooth. It makes a great sauce base.

Yeah, I looked at the ingredients for the Otega Taco sauce and they look like they would make a good base.

Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Water, Corn Syrup, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Modified Cornstarch, Spices, Paprika, Citric Acid, Green Chile Powder, Onion Powder.

Could I just use a catsup based bbq sauce recipe and substitute the taco sauce for the catsup?

Patrick

Could I just use a catsup based bbq sauce recipe and substitute the taco sauce for the catsup?

Patrick
As I see it, you are talking about Ohio adobo, someone here uses that stuff.:mrgreen: I see no reason not to give it a try, I don't see how it is gonna be bad.

"I was trying to get a picture from my car without the people noticing me." Sounds like a beginning of a "stalker" relationship to me...:eek:

As I see it, you are talking about Ohio adobo, someone here uses that stuff.:mrgreen: I see no reason not to give it a try, I don't see how it is gonna be bad.

Adobo? Never heard of the stuff... :twisted:

seems like SOMEONE around here might be familiar though... hmmmmm...

I think the idea for taco sauce sounds great. I would try it on country style ribs first, maybe add a little honey and some more cayenne then build your typical bbq sauce. You may be on to something.

I think the idea for taco sauce sounds great. I would try it on country style ribs first, maybe add a little honey and some more cayenne then build your typical bbq sauce. You may be on to something.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'm heading to restraunt depot this week so maybe I'll pick up some supplies to start developing a sauce. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Patrick

I don't know of any you can buy at the store using Taco Sauce as a base. I have made some experimental batches at home in the past with mixed results. I do not have a recipe to share, but I recall one that I really liked used Salsa Picante (aka hot sauce), in the style of Tapatio, and added some brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and a dash of Wooster in the style of making a Carolina style BBQ sauce, and really liked that result on pulled pork tacos topped with coleslaw.:cool:

I was serious. I can't see how it would go bad. I like the idea myself.

heat and no flakes, sounds like a tip-off on cayenne pepper and white pepper, cayenne gives you initial bite, white gives that lingering warmness.

Thanks I'll have to start getting to work. Do most people use brown sugar or molases as a sweetener in their sauce? I have only tried brown sugar.

Back