Chinese black bean sauce alternative to BBQ sauce

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here's something different for your Q. Also outstanding on grilled veggies

Black Bean Sauce
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/01/black-bean-sauce-recipe.html
Posted by Adam Kuban, January 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM

The following Black Bean Sauce is adapted from The Culinary Institute of America's Techniques of Healthy Cooking, which is Serious Eats' featured cookbook for the week of January 14, 2008. You may serve this sauce with Jerk Chicken, Green Papaya Salsa, and plantain chips.

Black Bean Sauce
- yields 1 1/2 quarts (1.45 L) -
Adapted from Techniques for Healthy Cooking, from the Culinary Institute of America. Serve this sauce with Jerk Chicken, Green Papaya Salsa, and plantain chips.

Ingredients
1 pound (450 grams) dried black beans
1/2 ounce (14 grams) diced bacon
8 ounces (225 grams) diced onions
2 3/4 teaspoon (13.75 mL) minced garlic
3/4 ounce (20 grams) chopped ancho chiles
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) dried oregano
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cumin
2 1/2 quarts (2.40 L) Chicken Stock
1 1/2 ounces (45 grams) chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 lemon, thickly sliced
1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher salt
2 fluid ounces (60 mL) sherry vinegar

Procedure
1. Soak the beans for 8 to 12 hours in enough cold water to cover by 3 inches (8 centimeters). Drain and reserve. (To reduce soaking time, boil beans water, remove from heat, and let soak 1 hour.)

2. In a large pot, heat the bacon over low to moderate heat until the fat renders and bacon begins to crisp. Add the onions, garlic, and chiles. Sweat until the onions are translucent. Add the oregano and cumin; cook 1 minute more. Add the stock, beans, tomatoes, lemon, and salt. Gently simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours.

3. Remove and discard the lemon slices. Purée half the beans, and add the purée back to sauce. Adjust consistency with more stock, if necessary.

4. Season with the vinegar.

Sounds good, Dr. Mark!:mrgreen:
I have added the recipe to my "to make" list!:lol:

Back