Buttermilk Brined Chicken Thighs

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
5f655869.jpg

b73436ee.jpg

8 Chicken thighs brined in buttermilk for 24 hrs.
072db164.jpg

395c5c30.jpg

On the Egg @350* on a raised grid
2e2981b6.jpg

e29e291c.jpg

Flipped @ 30-min.
8703e15b.jpg

d67b0fb3.jpg

eac592f4.jpg

Pulled @ 175*

Served with String Beans and mashed potatoes. This was a very tasty and wonderful meal that I well do again soon

Recipe: Buttermilk-Brined Chicken

Ingredients

3 C. buttermilk
¼ C. kosher salt
¼ C Franks Red-Hot Original
¼ C Worcestershire Sauce
1 t garlic powder
1 t ground cumin
1 t ground black pepper
1 t rubbed sage
½ t ground cayenne pepper
2 packages Chicken Thighs

Combine the buttermilk, salt, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and spices. Mix well. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator over night, turning occasionally.

Set up your Egg for direct on a raised grid @ 350*. Turn @ 30 min. Pull @ 175* internal.

Thanks for looking

Ross

Love a buttermilk brine for chicken!! Yours looks tasty!

The standard brine we used has a decent amount of brown sugar and Old Bay. Recently replaced the oOld Bay with some Death Dust...that was some good eats, for sure!!

I always use a buttermilk drench when frying chicken. Gotta try this for the grill.
BTW... would a plate setter eliminate that hot side of the BGE?

Yes, it does with mine. I do chicken the same, but with a plate setter in. At the end I take it out, WITH REALLY THICK GLOVES, and go to 450ish to finish if anyone likes some of the crispy char.

The buttermilk is a great idea. I have done it with fried chicken too, but not on the grill. :thumb:

Does the buttermilk keep the chicken moist and tender? Or maybe I should ask what the buttermilk does when using as a marinade.

How was the skin on that chicken? Did it crisp up?
Yes they do,cook them on a raised grid

Ross
Does the buttermilk keep the chicken moist and tender? Or maybe I should ask what the buttermilk does when using as a marinade.

It carrys the flavor the spices into the meat

Ross

The buttermilk is acidic and will help in breaking down protein. I just put a batch in the fridge, the only change I made, was to add 1 tbs of smoked paprika. Not sure if I'll wait until tomorrow to cook or later today.

My neighbor lady brines her chicken in buttermilk.
She says it makes a huge difference, she as has been bugging me to try it also.

Back