MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #5626
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARican
Cool idea with the hinges...very creative!!
I agree! I just might have to copy your Boshizzle Hinges. ;-)
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #5627
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I did a burn in last Saturday and then first test cook on Sunday. One question... I love the idea of shutting it down by killing the air flow. What do you do with the left over coals? Do you relight them on next cook (dump in a chimney, weed burner etc) or do you leave them in the basket and just dump hot coals on top of them? thanks!
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #5628
big.burlinski
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
i've gone through hundreds of posts this weekend and purchased everything I need except the expanded metal for the charcoal basket.

Can anyone tell me where I may be able to locate some expanded metal? I tried Home Depot and they didn't have any, I called a local machine shop in Dallas and they were going to charge me $74 for a sheet that is 8" by 44", which seemed a bit high to me.

Another question just came up, if I were to purchase a barrel with a teflon coated inside, would I need to burn out the teflon or could I use some sort of cleaner? Assuming of course it would be safe to cook/eat from after cleaning out the inside.

Any opinions/recommendations would be appreciated
One more North Texas option for the expanded metal (and probably all the other SS hardware) is Fulton's in Denton.

http://fultonsupplyandrecycling.com/index2.html

I had to buy an almost full sheet, but they'll cut it for you with their torch for a buck or two a cut.

It's a metal recycling place (aka glorified scrapyard), so the pieces are sitting outside and are pre-aged for you (aka already rusted a little).

Actually I could also provide you a piece 12" or 8" or whatever x 48" reasonably because I still have a bunch left over and I will only maybe be making maybe one more UDS some day. (the V2 where you try to make everything perfect and pretty after learning on the first one) :) I got a sheet which already had one cut made so it was around 6 or 7 ft. x 4 ft. for $30, then they cut it into a 12"x48 for my basket and three more 2 ft. x 4 ft. or so to fit in my trunk. We'll have to figure out how to cut it without a torch, but I do have an angle grinder with the right wheels for it. Just haven't tried it yet :)
I'm in The Colony. I'll PM you. You can see the larger pieces but I have three of those left.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #5629
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitydisciple01 View Post
I did a burn in last Saturday and then first test cook on Sunday. One question... I love the idea of shutting it down by killing the air flow. What do you do with the left over coals? Do you relight them on next cook (dump in a chimney, weed burner etc) or do you leave them in the basket and just dump hot coals on top of them? thanks!
I let them cool and stow em in my chimney for the next burn.
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #5630
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Like Nascarican says let them cool but be careful coals can stay hot for days. I put them in a plastic bag and store them in then smoker the reuse them.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #5631
wayner123
Got Wood.

I got a question for ya'll. Do you make sure to get all of the outside paint off the barrel? I have done a large burn and I got about 60% of the outside paint off through doing that.

But my thought is why bother trying to get all of it, if the barrel will never reach those temps during cooking. Even at the highest seasoning point, I would only go ~400F.

Then again, I have thought maybe it would fume still and I don't want to take any chance on getting those fumes on the meat.

What are your thoughts?
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #5632
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I got a question for ya'll. Do you make sure to get all of the outside paint off the barrel? I have done a large burn and I got about 60% of the outside paint off through doing that.

But my thought is why bother trying to get all of it, if the barrel will never reach those temps during cooking. Even at the highest seasoning point, I would only go ~400F.

Then again, I have thought maybe it would fume still and I don't want to take any chance on getting those fumes on the meat.

What are your thoughts?
I wouldn't worry about the outside, unless you wanna do some jazzy paint job...the only reason for the burn is to prepare the inside for seasoning...

Old 03-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #5633
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

A weed burner will handle that little bit of paint that is left if your worried.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #5634
KGB
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I used SS hinges to hold the grates so that I could fold them up out of position when removing the ash pan and the lower grate.
I love the hinge idea- I just checked Home Depot for them and came up empty, so I have a few questions :)

1 - Do they stay 'folded up' when you fold them up or do they fall back down?
2 - Where did you get them? (link?)
3 - What are the hinges designed for originally?

Thanks!
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #5635
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I love the hinge idea- I just checked Home Depot for them and came up empty, so I have a few questions :)

1 - Do they stay 'folded up' when you fold them up or do they fall back down?
2 - Where did you get them? (link?)
3 - What are the hinges designed for originally?

Thanks!
From the looks of it the swing in and out not up and down. If it were me I would have to have some way to lock them out or I'd be worried about losing my food.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #5636
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Love the hinge idea and since I am now in the process of building mine I will use this idea. Many thanks for sharing.

Paul

Quote:
I finally got to do the first seasoning burn of my new UDS. Here are some pics.

Ready for seasoning

Vent Wide Open - It has been holding around 400 for about 3 hours.

I used SS hinges to hold the grates so that I could fold them up out of position when removing the ash pan and the lower grate.

Here is a pic of it with the Big Lots Grill lid. A little work is needed for a more smoke tight fit.

Here is the charcoal basket sitting on an 18" anodized aluminum pizza pan used as the ash pan.

wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #5637
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I finally got to do the first seasoning burn of my new UDS. Here are some pics.

Ready for seasoning

Vent Wide Open - It has been holding around 400 for about 3 hours.

Here is a pic of it with the Big Lots Grill lid. A little work is needed for a more smoke tight fit.

Here is the charcoal basket sitting on an 18" anodized aluminum pizza pan used as the ash pan.

WOW!! there is a difference in size in the different drums...I used the Big Lots cooker lid and it fit with just a little grinding of the ring.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #5638
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

This is my baby!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (88.7 KB, 793 views)

Old 03-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #5639
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks, brethren. I'm looking forward to my first cook on it. I have flattened out the rim on the BL grill lid and it fit much better. However, it still leaks. I don't think that will be a big problem though as there is a lot of smoke inside the UDS. In fact, I'm hoping there isn't too much smoke in it. I have 8 3/4" holes in the drum lid and just the vent on the BL lid. I will have to do some more experimenting to see whether there is too much smoke or if it's the right amount.

I thought about adding some fiberglass wood stove gasket to the lid but I read that the fiberglass may not be food safe since it cracks and glass fibers are released. Any input on that subject?

I will post some pics of the lid now that the lip is flattened out as soon as I can.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #5640
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARican View Post
This is my baby!!

Looks great! That lid fits very well on that drum.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker