Heat?

H

Hook'em Texans

I'm smoking for the first time today and am having trouble getting the heat up. I'm using charcoal, and I assume if I pile the charcoal on it'll get hot but how many bag will that take? I have the largest bag (18lbs, I think) and that doesn't seem like it'll be enough. I'm beginning hour three and am about half way through the bag. Thoughts?

I'm using a typical smoker with the firebox on the side.

Hook'm, that is a WIDE OPEN variety of smokers. Do you have the manufacturer or a pic. Some offsets are fuel hogs and some are engineered to be very efficient. You will get some responses if you get more information. Good luck bro.

^^^^ he said. WHat temp you shooting for? What position are your vents and do you have the grate raised in the firebox?

I've attached a picture of the smoker. Chimney vent is close and the sidebox vent is halfway. The coals are raised on a grate and I'm shooting for 200 but can only get to 150.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 110
With mine, the amount of charcoal has a very nonlinear dependence on the temp. If I'm running at 250, half a bag will run me about 3 hours. If I crank to 260, half bag lasts for about 1-2 hours. If I'm running at 210, I can go 12 hours+ on a bag -- very good for overnight butts. One other thing to check is the thermometer. Mine was off by about 50 degrees(!) when I calibrated it.

Open the exhaust wide open. Open the intake vents until the temp starts climbing then start closing them down in small increments. Don't trust that thermometer in the lid. Your actual temp at the cooking grate will be higher.

BTW, Chargrillers are pretty much fuel hogs.

I am not using an internal thermometer only the factory's. I'm beginning to think this is my problem. I'll need to make a run to the store.

Hook'em, did you say the exhaust chimney is closed? If so, open that bad boy all the way open and never touch it until you're done. The exhaust is not allowing a draft over the fire and will never get very hot. Do all the adjustments at the firebox intake. Keep us posted bro.

IT'S OPEN NOW!! Rookie mistake, I was thinking the opposite.Thanks for the help, I appreciate.

Yessir... open the top stack and side air (firebox vent) wide open ... allow the temp to build up (and it will)... slowly shut her down (side intake only) once the temp gets close to the target range.

Get a few oven temp thermos (baking section)... at the grocery store for the smoker racks until you can get a wireless thermo with two probes (one for the meat and the other to watch the smoker temps at the grate level.) Once the wired thermo probes are in place.. you'll greatly reduce the number of times you lose smoking temp, and adding trime to your meats.. the old adage... 'If you're looking... you're not cooking'.

Allow the charcoal to burn at least 1/2 hour to clear out the billowing white smoke (in the beginning) before putting the meat on.

Last edited:
You guys are geniuses. The temp is climbing and the wife is no longer laughing at me. Great save!!

Let us know how it came out. Take some pics, or it didn't happen.

HT don't feel bad. As a fellow CharGriller (CG) owner, I did the same thing on my first cook. :icon_blush:

But after trying to control the heat and smoke with the chimney and firebox vents, I gave up and found this site. The rest is history.

By the way, there are several mods you can make on the CG to make your cooks go better. The 1st thing I would do is make or have made a charcoal box for the firebox. With an expanded metal charcoal holder, you can get up to 6-7 hours of run time on the CG without adding charcoal.

Another area to look into is the heat distribution throughout the smoking chamber. Currently, I'm using some inexpensive aluminum pans with holes to help distribute the heat. There are better methods out there, just haven't taken the time to make a plate...

All these ideas came from other brethren on the site...

I'll attach some pictures in a little while, must attend to the grandkids right now...

Back