like info on pulled pork

T

tnbbq

fixing to do my first Q in a BSKD smoking a pork butt any suggetion fellow brethren.:idea::confused:

Keep it simple and don't try to do everything you may have read all at once if it's your first cook

1)Rub meat with med coating of dry rub
2)get pit temp up to 225-250 range
3)put on the meat
4)when internal is 165-170 (and bark looks good), wrap in foil and return to pit
5) cook until 195-205
6)remove & let rest in foil for at least 45 minutes
7) pull , add favorite sauce, vinegar, etc and eat !!!

All the above works like a charm.

2nbcyv9.jpg

Don't get impatient, it takes a while. My biggest problem, when I started, was that I didn't wait that last hour or two that the meat needed to get just right.

Keep it simple and don't try to do everything you may have read all at once if it's your first cook

1)Rub meat with med coating of dry rub
2)get pit temp up to 225-250 range
3)put on the meat
4)when internal is 165-170 (and bark looks good), wrap in foil and return to pit
5) cook until 195-205
6)remove & let rest in foil for at least 45 minutes
7) pull , add favorite sauce, vinegar, etc and eat !!!

Yep, that pretty much covers it. Good advise.:-D

Keep working the fire up in temp, don't run it up to 300 and think it'll be easier to bring it down. It's much easier to increase heat than to cool a fire.

That being said a pork butt is very flexible. You'll get great results as long as the temp is between 200 and 300.

Like all the brothers are advising... Patience. I did my first butt on smoker friday. Put it on at 5:15 am. I poiled it at about 170 degrees, that was at about 2 pm. Then i pulled it at 190-195 degrees, around 3:30 pm. Let it finish cooking in cooler for another hour. came out very good though, very tender. thanks to all you brothers for the advice. I love this site!

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

I love that smoke ring! Great success! High five! Very nice!
IMG_4614.jpg

On top of the wise advise above... resist the peek at the meat...
If you're lookin'... you're not cookin'.

Stabilize the fire... and spritz with a chosen juice once an hour.

*** Grab some Taylor Thermometers (oven style) and place on your internal shelf next to your meat. The factory thermometer on the outer door is known to be drastically innaccurate. Mine was 50 degrees off (low).Watch for your temps, spritz and foil as suggested.

You won't reget it. Patience Grasshopper.

Might add a little applejuice when foiling. Oh and cooler for a while if you can.
Edit. What Vinny said. (step 6)

Back