MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How do you "Hold" Ribs?

I did three racks of St Luey's (from Costco) yesterday on the UDS.

I went super simple, dry rub only and cooked between 225-275 for 5 hours. They came out great, but my teenagers decided to go to the movies and didn't come home for another two hours.

I put them in the oven at 200 (should of sauced them), covered with foil.

They were still good, but I was wondering what the "right" method was and/or how do restaturants to it.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

What I do is keep them in foil and in a towel until I am ready to serve. I hit them with sauce and grill on low for 20-30 mins.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

I wrap them in foil and put them in the oven. If they need to be warmed up prior, I will sauce them and throw them on the grill to heat through.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If I knew it was going to be a few hours, I would let them cool a bit, wrap the whole rack in foil and throw them in the fridge. When you're ready to eat, reheat them in a 250-300* oven until they're hot.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

I had to do a similar thing a couple months ago. I put them in a pan with a little apple juice and covered in foil at 200° for about 3 hours. They were moist and tasted great.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
How do you "Hold" Ribs?
Normally 1 in each hand Nver had to hold them I know how to plan.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Boshizzle

I agree! Plastics is the way to hold BBQ! I wrapped up a brisket that I cooked yesterday, reheated it this morning to serve at my company's Movember/Christmas party and it was superb! I couldn't detect in any way that it had been cooked, cooled, and reheated!

I followed Pitmaster T's advice and am glad I did. BBQ Bandit was a big help for the butts too.

Plastics played a primary role in both methods. I now have some new options for cooking BBQ.

As soon as you pull them from the cooker, wrap them very well in plastic wrap and cool them as quickly as possible. I use sealed plastic and plunged the meat into ice. Once it cooled, I put it in the fridge. It all cooled in less than 2 hours which is important for safe food handling best practice.

I reheated the meat the next morning for about 30 - 40 minutes, put it in a cooler and took it to work. There, I pulled the butts and sliced the brisket. It was superb!

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to learn this bit of golden BBQ knowledge!

Thanks, Pitmaster T and BBQ Bandit! You two have opened up some all new avenues that I have never considered before!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

The plastic wrap doesn't melt at all? I would have thought that if you took hot meat and wrapped it in seran wrap that the wrap would melt right to the meat.

I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

buy a very cheaper electrical oven, put in the oven, set temperature at 140 F.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I go as high as 300 naked, or any higher I cover and set in water to protect the bottom.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Typically it's pretty easy. They usually pass after a few hours, or possibly the next morning.

Occasionally they shot through me like Waffle House hash browns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

My family follows the "better be here or you're screwed" philosophy. It's too much of a pain to try and maintain heat and moisture for a few hours until the rest of the gang shows up! IF there is anything leftover, I use heavy duty plastic bags or vacpaks and shove em in the fridge. When your kids get home, have them submerge the sealed bag-o-ribs in HoT water for 10-15 minutes...This seams to prevent any additional drying caused by an oven or microwave.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Boshizzle

Foodsaver is a key too. It makes it easier, IMO. I will be cooking 18 racks of ribs on a smoker that can only handle about 9 racks at a time. I will seal the first batch with the foodsaver and plunge them in ice to cool then refrigerate. Then, I will cook the 2nd batch and reheat the first batch in aluminum pans sealed with foil while I cook the 2nd batch after foiling theml. Then, I will glaze them and wrap in foil, put in a cooler to be served within an hour. I have no doubt that all of them will turn our superb!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

FWIW, restaurants use a hot-hold cabinet at 170' with moisture.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote