MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
MrMike
On the road to being a farker

Default Why the amount of meat for comps?

A recent thread asked about the amount of meat you make for comp. 2 Butts, 2 briskets, 4-6 slabs of ribs and 16 chicken thighs seems to be the amount. How much of this is actually turned in? I was under the impression that one box per category gets turned in. And I know that the teams usually can't give it away what's left as samples or sell it. How much are you generally left with?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We're generally left with quite a bit. But given how variable individual pieces of meat can be, I want some insurance. And if it's costing us $1000 to pull out of the driveway, $100 of meat is not going to stop me from getting the best result that we possibly can.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
We're generally left with quite a bit. But given how variable individual pieces of meat can be, I want some insurance. And if it's costing us $1000 to pull out of the driveway, $100 of meat is not going to stop me from getting the best result that we possibly can.
yup what that Diva said

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

we do 3 briskets, 3 butts(actually 4 because they come in 2 packs), 6 racks of ribs and 30 pieces of chicken. Extra chicken is becase we eat it! The third brisket(usually a small one or one we can use as a real primary) is a sacrafice for burnt ends.

leftover gets given away to friends, or a food kitchen if one is made availablle at the contest site.

in a box is a minimum of 6 ribs, 6 pieces or portions of chicken, 6 slices or portion of brisket and 6 slices or portions of pork.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
afreemaniii
Full Fledged Farker

We try to give away as much as possible to our friends and family that stop by the comp. Anything that's left is either eaten during the week or frozen for later.

Gear:
1-BWS Party
1-22.5" WSM
Guru Pitminder and Stoker system
afreemaniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's really simple. Not all meat is created equal. You cook multiples so you can choose the best of what you have prepared to turn in to the judges. Lets put it this way......You cook one brisket, it turns out to be very dry, you have no chance. We have cooked two briskets at a contest where one was very dry and the other one was super moist. If we would have cooked only one brisket it would have been a crap shoot.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Diva said it straight up. You never want to get caught having to present sub-par Q in a turn-in box. You want the absolute best pieces of pork (across both shoulders), the best pieces of ribs, etc. You want the turn-in box to be full of meat, without overcrowding. Depending on the size of the chickens, we'll try to fit 8 pieces in there;
neatly and cleanly arranged.

Give yourself options to choose what looks best (assuming all of the pieces will taste the same).

The remainder, eat, give away, use it as hair tonic, whatever...
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

We do 2 butts, 2 briskets, 3 racks of ribs and 16 chicken pieces.

I would like to see KCBS come up with a rule that sets the amount of meat you can cook at a comp. I think it would really bring out the skills. You work with what you have.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post
We do 2 butts, 2 briskets, 3 racks of ribs and 16 chicken pieces.

I would like to see KCBS come up with a rule that sets the amount of meat you can cook at a comp. I think it would really bring out the skills. You work with what you have.
How about 1 butt, 1 brisket, 1 rack of ribs and 1 chicken breast to cut into 6 pieces?

We cook 2 briskets, 2 butts, 3 racks of ribs and 12-16 chicken. Mostly because that is how they (except brisket) come packaged.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Pretty much the same with us.... 16 pieces of chicken, 6 slabs, 2 butts, 2 briskets.

At Raytown this year, we turned in 7 slices of briskets, but it took both briskets to get those 7 slices. Last weekend, we cooked a packer and a flat and could have turned in 30 slices.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
Big Mike's BBQ

I do not think that it would make a difference if KCBS set a limit on how much you could cook. The difference is more with the guys that do this for a living and have cases and cases of meat that they go through in a weeks time to pull out the best they can find. Do get me wrong I am not blaming these guys, I would do the same thing if I could.

Big Mike
Big Mike's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

MrMike, REAL MEN dont make mistakes and can go with 6 thighs, 1 small brisket, 1 rack of ribs, and a pork butt.

The rest of us beer drankin' SOAB's need spares!

That, and "Chicks Dig It".
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
MrMike

Thanks for all the answers!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
nicerackbbqteam

I just did my first Comp over the weekend... i only brought
1 pack of chkicken thighs
1 cryo pack of Spare ribs (3 in a pack)
1 pack of Pork bone in(blade)..and 2 come in a pack
1 brisket(packer)

what ever was left over after turn in we ate and we made SOS out of the brisket when we got home...it worked out ok
we took 11th in Ribs out of 37 not bad for my first time

Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

We do 2 butts, 2 packers, 4 slabs, and 16 thighs...

The left overs go to the office and friends... there are never really any left overs....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote