• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Porcheta help!

Ponty56

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Smoked a Porcheta today at 225 for four hours and at 250-300 for last hour with a total of 5 hours. The skin didn't get crunchy and I didn't enjoy the texture . Is it better without the skin?

I think you didn't get hot enough. From my understanding, Porchetta is cooked in temperatures closer to 400F

From what I understand, 400F for the whole cook. But, I don't think that is needed. I would bet that if you had gone to 400F for the last hour, it would have worked.

Yep, it certainly will. I feel the need to point out here, that much like BBQ, you sort of have to use the meat as your guide. The thickness and amount of fat, the thickness of the skin, age of the hog, all of that plays a role in your cook. Lots of people out here are doing Porchetta and other pork belly dishes and instead of feel, they are cooking to a temperature and time. Nothing is worse than poorly rendered, crunchy chunks of fat.

Thanks fellas this was practice for Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ so I could probably cook it over a flame for the last hour or until broken down and cooked.

Push the temp high for the last hour.
Totally agree with Landarc post, feel the meat!

Try the seriouseats.com all belly porchetta roast recipe. Here is a link - All Belly Porchetta It is the bomb and yes, rubbing with baking soda the night before helps a WHOLE lot. I have done used this recipe three times now and it always turns out moist and crunchy all at the same time. Here is some pictures of one I did, I think this was my second one maybe. I started it in the smoker for that first two hour stint to give it some smoke flavor and finished in the oven for the last two hours and the 20 min blast at 500. It is ridiculous, the skin is perfect and the fat is rendered. I'd recommend using all belly for sure and forget the loin.

CrispyPorchetta.jpg

PorchettaSkin.jpg

BTW, I couldn't imagine not having the skin on there. It is the best part. Usually I'll eat all the skin off and leave most of the meat to chop up for sandwiches over the next few days. :biggrin1:

Just out of curiosity a Chinese mate turned up for Christmas lunch with a small sucking pig. Fantastic crisp skin. Because of the heap of other food, turkey, salmon etc etc we had the head & shoulders left over. We had a small group around Boxing Day for "hair of the dog" and to help clean up leftovers. I've always failed to reheat sucking pig so I tried something different.
I heated my BBQ to its maximum 600F+. Then I place the pig on a rack on an open oven tray on indirect heat. After about 20 minutes the skin puffed up and was fantastic. Even the eat didn't get too dry. An amazing result.
Object lesson. If skin isn't crisp pull out. Keep warm. Fire up heat to maximum & put back in until skin crisp!!!!
John

That is exactly how I got that crisp skin on that one I did John. The recipe says pull it out and then let the oven get RIPPING hot. Don't let it stay in there when it's going from 300 to 550 or whatever temp called for. I think it took 18 mins for mine last time, have to watch it close because the second one I did went from golden brown to a bit too dark in about one minute. Wasn't burnt, just too brown, almost had that burnt taste.

Did you baste the suckling pig at all? I usually take the rendered fat and pour it over the roast that last high heat blast. Really keeps the skin oily so it puffs up A WHOLE LOT! Woo, I love pork skin. Maybe the original poster can get ideas and get it perfect next time. I hope so, because once you've had a good pork skin on pig parts it's amazing. Hard to go back.

That is exactly how I got that crisp skin on that one I did John. The recipe says pull it out and then let the oven get RIPPING hot. Don't let it stay in there when it's going from 300 to 550 or whatever temp called for. I think it took 18 mins for mine last time, have to watch it close because the second one I did went from golden brown to a bit too dark in about one minute. Wasn't burnt, just too brown, almost had that burnt taste.

Did you baste the suckling pig at all? I usually take the rendered fat and pour it over the roast that last high heat blast. Really keeps the skin oily so it puffs up A WHOLE LOT! Woo, I love pork skin. Maybe the original poster can get ideas and get it perfect next time. I hope so, because once you've had a good pork skin on pig parts it's amazing. Hard to go back.

I didn't baste it. I put it on & had a glass of wine (or two), lifted the lid & it was just done - a fluke I guess!!!
John

Back