how do you cook your spareribs?

bbqchicken

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
okay am still trying to figure this out. I have some on the UDS right now. I have seen that show BBQ pit masters. How the heck do I get my spare ribs to look like Johnny Triggs?

temperature?

St. Louis cuts?

No sugar rub?

How long?

Foil?

Spray with apple juice?

sauce at the end?

How the heck do I get my spare ribs to look like Johnny Triggs?

Cook for 20+ years? :-D

OK... Real answers below... This is based on my FEC-100. Your cooker may vary.

temperature? - 260

St. Louis cuts? - Yes. I look for about 2.5 - 2.75 lbs after trimming

No sugar rub? - Plowboy Yardbird, light on the bone side, medium on the meat side.

How long? - 4 1/2 - 4 3/4 hours

Foil? - Yes, after 2 1/2 hours, in the foil for 1 1/2 hours.

Spray with apple juice? - Nope. If you're lookin', you aren't cookin' :-D

sauce at the end? - Yep. A light glaze of my own concoction, then 15 minutes out of foil to set.

Some like them falling off bone , some like some pull to them. some like sauce some don't like sauce . Heck with that Johnny guy cook them the way you and your family like them. You can just look at a damn rib so long then you going have to eat it.

I just cook them til they're done. Every rib cook is different for me as I lack consistency. But they all turn out good. :))

Trim them to a St Louis cut.
Rub them... lately it's been Simply Marvelous Cherry rub...
I cook in the 230* range - and don't foil. Typically takes 5-6 hours depending on the meat.
On rare occasion we will brush with sauce at the end, but mostly not.

well if you really want to know how to cook like the godfather everyone here has some great advice but the only real way to learn how he does it is to take his class for a sure fire way to make then the way he does. I wish I could take one of his classes.

KISS!

6579023217_9245b6edbd_b.jpg

great looking ribs Northwest barbecue.:clap2: Mine came out pretty good. Just a little too tender.

Last edited:
You should use a rub that your family likes, be it sweet or heat; savory or not; temperature; cooked until falling off the bone or not; sauce at the end or not, all of those questions are individuals opinion. I can tell you what my family likes but most likely that wont be what your family likes. So experiment even after you find what you and your family likes, because you never know when you might find a better technique.

Personally I try to cook at 250, my rub is sweet, I foil at about the 3 hour mark, and add a bit of apple juice to the foil. After about 2 more hours of cooking I remove them from the foil apply another light layer of rub and a lightly drizzle honey and let that caramelize which usually takes about another 30 to 45 minutes, at which point pull them from the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My Method:
Cooker: Backwoods Gater
Temp: 275ish

Ribs: St. Louis Cut Spare Ribs
Rub: Simply Marvelous Season All w/another SM rub of choice
Time: 2.5 hours un-foiled
Foil w/ Brown Sugar, Margarine, and Tiger Sauce(If I have some) for 1 hour
Take out Foil and put Number 5 sauce or SBR's Tweak Sauce on for 10 mins.

If I have time I reduce the drippings from the foil and glaze the ribs with it after putting on the BBQ sauce.

Pron:
IMG_0663.jpg

Back