MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #91
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Official Entry and All

What with this being a Musical entry, We should be able to hear it as well as see it.

I'll start with Bacon and fixin's

Then there's the quality of the meat your er' using:

It's getting better:

My meat is beat now. Thank Goodness for LuzziAnn bringing the Holy Trinity! Bell pepper, Onion and Celery! :

This is starting to look GOOD! Rolled and Ready! Time for a low and slow:

On the Grill:

Off the Grill:

Finished product. Please use this one for TD:

PS: Then there are the sides:

A guaranteed 3 octave Trouser Trumpet for sure! ;D

Thanks for lookin' and leaving the Musical TD with a good wish for All!

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 02-10-2013 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: content
Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #92
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
My inspiration for this nonentry was John Prine.

Happy Enchilada - YouTube

I love the story and every time I though about this TD I came back The Happy Enchilada

They still turned out pretty good but I had to resort to the indoor appliances Oh Well you win some you lose some.

Thanks so much for posting this, Ric. I've never heard of John Prine or the Happy Enchilada song. Some of the most moving music is just a person singing and playing guitar and I loved listening to and watching the video. Enchiladas look good, too, thanks for playing even though Mother Nature sent you to your room. At least you went to the kitchen....
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #93
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Cooked hot and fast on the WSJ. No reverse sear needed.

CD
I love this picture. Simple and beautiful steak. Did that Rev eat so much steak he turned into a steer?
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #94
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Here it is plated and the one constant between then and now is a St. Paulie Girl.

Great story, Paul. I would have been star-struck, too, and how cool that Cliff's mother was there in conservative mode. After reading your entry I took a quick google peek and found out Cliff's first music love was classical and first instrument was the piano. Makes the picture you painted of his mother in that heavy metal room even funnier. The chicken looks marvelous, wow, I have a tripod campfire contraption I'm going to try doing something like that with this summer.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #95
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
and finally, we can try to make some music.

Confession: Try as I might, I couldn't get anything musical from the trumpet. As back-up, I grilled Brussel sprouts and there is nothing more musical than those.
This is farkin' hilarious! I love it! Delicious, creative and effective. Your song inspiration is a breath of fresh air after that last snowstorm. I so love Ella's voice and Louis' intro was beautiful -- one of those times when the sum of music exceeds the individuals. Thanks for sharing, Gore, and I so agree with you about the brussels sprouts. I call them martian brains.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #96
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Off the Grill:

Wow, Toast, music inspires you big-time! Really great entry and I almost fell of my chair laughing at the '3 octave trouser trumpet'. I can't even type it without laughing! Seriously, those low-budget rolls look like a million bucks and I'd love to set in to some. Loved all the music, Slow Ride is perfect for BBQ and I haven't heard that Kinks song in ages, thank you.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #97
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Can any of you fine folks pm me with info on how to embed video in a post? Trying to put together my entry, simply cannot get it to work, and it'll be a total loss without the proper musical accompaniments...
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Subzerogriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #98
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzerogriller View Post
Can any of you fine folks pm me with info on how to embed video in a post? Trying to put together my entry, simply cannot get it to work, and it'll be a total loss without the proper musical accompaniments...
If the video is on YouTube all you have to do is copy the URL then paste it in your post and the site will automatically embed it for you.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #99
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks; as usual, I was apparently overcomplicating things...
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Old 02-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #100
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

First off, Kathy...THANK YOU for this concept. Music is a passion of mine (listening mainly, as I have no talent other than a voice that just barely doesn't make people run out of the room screaming), and there are many artists whose work has touched my life. Because of this, this TD has a special meaning to me. Busy work week, but I had my cook all planned for lunch on Saturday before working in the evening...but a few unforeseen events threw a monkey wrench in things. Mainly, I wasn't able to get many pictures and wasn't able to complete my plate the way I would have liked. So, instead I will focus on the backstory in a vain attempt to make up for a less than stellar process. Also, as mentioned earlier, I'm having problems figuring out how to embed video from Youtube. Tried for the last 2 hours but can't get it to work, so I'm giving up. All you get are links.

For my entry, I chose to focus on Aaron Lewis, the front man for Staind and newly converted country artist. Aaron's music...indeed, his life...has always been extremely familiar to me. Like him, I grew up suffering from depression and low self-esteem. He has often said that he used to "feel very alone" when he was younger, which is something I can relate to. My parents weren't abusive, but were very strict, and my dad (like many) was very distant. My dad is a retired police sergeant, and as a counselor once told me, "It seems like your home is run very much like a police academy." Please understand, I'm not complaining; I love my dad and I feel like he did as decent a job as anyone could have. I just provide this as explanation for my connection with Aaron's music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfsFR0s-_A

The more I listened to Staind's music, the stronger a connection I felt with Aaron Lewis and his lyrics. Through the music of Staind, I finally found the words to describe who I was and how I felt inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bobskjQwWI
The music of Staind became highly therapeutic for me, and as Mr. Lewis seemed to figure out his feelings of self-doubt and lack of confidence, I too began to better understand who I was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBFDFEiQrx4
As I said, I've always felt a connection to Aaron's music, and that hasn't stopped now that he's gone solo as a country artist. I love the outdoors, am (for the most part) pretty conservative in my political views, I'm deeply appreciative and supportive of our country's men and women in uniform, and I've never been afraid to speak my mind (even when it gets me in trouble). SO ultimately, my direct inspiration for this cook came from Aaron's single, "Country Boy:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmUm66juvE
I'm not really the "star-struck" type, but I've always said that Aaron Lewis is a guy I'd love to hang out and have a few beers or maybe go fishing with. So, I went into this cook with that thought in mind.

I pulled a couple of venison steaks out of the freezer...

Made a simple marinade:

Bagged it all up and tossed it in the fridge overnight:

To go with them, I took some asparagus, drizzled it with soy sauce and added a bit of garlic and just a touch of ginger:

Now, here's where my pics get a bit sketchy. See, I've been shopping for a good used truck, and I'm fairly picky, which means I've been looking for just over 3 months. Saturday morning, in the middle of my prep and cook, I found one and spent an hour talking and negotiating prices over the phone. In fact, I ended up having to leave for work just as the steaks were finishing up; my wife actually pulled them off the grill and photographed. So, here is my money shot; while I didn't get to enjoy them fresh, I did have this waiting for me when I got home from work, and the steaks did turn out very nicely at a near perfect medium rare.

My apologies for the lack of pics and the technical difficulties; not my best entry, but as I said, this was a theme that meant a lot to me and I wanted to make sure I got an entry in, even if I wasn't able to put my best foot forward. Thanks for looking!
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited by Subzerogriller; 02-11-2013 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: Grammatical issue.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #101
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I bet those were great with that marinade. Pass some leftovers this way please.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #102
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

This is a down right battle of the bands quality TD here. It is A+ entry after A+ entry ... and Gore.

Great job to everyone, and the stories were awesome too.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #103
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cack View Post
A+ entry after A+ entry ... and Gore.
Leave it to Gore to fark up the bell curve.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #104
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Leave it to Gore to fark up the bell curve.
Whoo Hoo! Farked up again. Now where is Guerry with that little inspiration of his?

Of course I do wonder about a Bell curve with all A+ and one Fark-up. Seems more like a bimodal distribution composed of two delta functions to me.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #105
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Scuse me whils't I do a vector analysis on that...BRB
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->