MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Default Horizontal or Vertical?

I see alot of smokers have both style of chambers. Just wondering what the difference is between the two?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

Ha! 77 views and no responses. I believe you've stumped the Brethren.

Most smokers have the vertical on the far end from the fire to allow for lower temps. I'd also say that most smokers are horizontal just because it's easier to design that way. Not much of a response, I know........
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
pigpen269
Full Fledged Farker

In my experience I can produce the same BBQ with either type. I think it is alot to do with personnal preference. With a vertical the meat on the higher racks drips on to the meat on the lower racks which can be a bonus. Most verticals can't hold alot of large hunks of meat as the racks aren't usually as big.
Blue UDS (UBD)
Homemade 18"/36" Grillzilla
Lang 60, (RIP)
Home Built Trailer (500gallon Oil drum).(RIP)
pigpen269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
smokeythebama
On the road to being a farker

I agree with pigpen. Horizontal smokers seem to have the room. Besides this one difference, I think they produce the same end product.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Kickback BBQ on Guam
On the road to being a farker

Horizontal allows me to have different heat ranges when needed + a whole hog is possible and easy to fit through the door.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylersk View Post
I see alot of smokers have both style of chambers. Just wondering what the difference is between the two?
You say "have both style of chambers" do you mean on the same smoker? If so the upright part, on say a Lang, is used as more of a warming area or I used mine for doing some cold smoking (well tried to anyway). But mostly I used mine for holding half sheet pans of stuff when feeding a crowd.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

I have had both and like both. But my vertical has 5 shelves that are 20x20. AlOT of room...I would need a very large horizontal to compete to the cooking capacity. The vertical takes up less space and is more mobile. Mine is 400+lbs and I can move it all day w/ ease.

Shelves.jpg
Kettle 22.5 [COLOR=blue][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] OTG/W rotiss
Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
CCW SP 101 357 125g
gpalasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, I meant that the smoker has BOTH chambers on it. Why use one over the other.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpalasz View Post
I have had both and like both. But my vertical has 5 shelves that are 20x20. AlOT of room...I would need a very large horizontal to compete to the cooking capacity. The vertical takes up less space and is more mobile. Mine is 400+lbs and I can move it all day w/ ease.

Attachment 29738
gpalasz - your stumps is a collector's item. i like to hang my meat so a vertical smoker comes in very handy.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote