MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Did you vote in the 2008 KCBS Election
Yes 75 82.42%
No 6 6.59%
I am not a member of KCBS 10 10.99%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
StLouQue

I voted because I'm new to the KCBS. I suspect it takes years for enthusiasm to be displaced by apathy.

Poob, let's get some Vote Phil '09 t-shirts printed up. I'll wear mine to every competition I attend this year.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #17
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

I voted..and I sent emails to all the last summer CBJ class graduates (we hosted)...encouraging them to do so as well, I think if they got more involved (beyond joining to keep a valid CBJ #) you could bump that number to closer to 40%

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #18
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Smokin' Around View Post
I voted for 4 people and tried to select folks I thought would be good for the organization and maybe bring some new blood and new ideas to the organization. Seems I ended up like many - 2 of my 4 made it. I also voted because "you can't bitch if you don't vote".

I wonder how many folks had a problem like Dan. I read of a couple of others not getting their voting email. Hopefully, his was just a one off issue.

I did have a problem
but they fixed the problem for me

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com

Last edited by ThomEmery; 01-21-2008 at 08:47 AM..
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #19
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

I voted because I think it is the right thing to do. I also never miss general election here at home. I would bet that the majority of people here and in attendance at the dinner also voted, because, folks that are involved ,generally participate.

You will always have a large percentage of any group as non participants. They will join and do nothing, either because of available time, lack of experience and or motivation. They will hang around and wait for someone else to get it done. It is the same thing in hunting clubs, PTA, or social groups; it is always up to "somebody" to get it done. Do me a favor, if you know who “somebody” is, send me his phone numbers, I have a few tree stands on our hunting lease that need to be repaired before next season.

Unfortunately, that’s the way it is, 10% of the membership does 90% of the work. The percentage of voters in the election, in my opinion, is about what you can expect from a group this size, it may even be slightly above average. I am a new guy here, but I think the bottom line is, forums like this and others, are a great place to vent and suggest ideas for change. I would bet that the board members and decision makers also read these forums, whether they post or not, they are reading.

I also think you are doing the right thing by letting the leaders hear your concerns anytime you can, e mail, letter, phone or in person. You have to let them know what you think, without your input, they can always say, “I haven’t heard that concern before.” Now, I am not advocating an e-mail bombardment of the board, I am merely saying, let your voices be heard. The two things I have learned in my years as a contract negotiator for our labor group with the County Government,
#1- the squeaky wheel gets the oil
#2- progress is a slow process.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #20
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry Phil Phil in 09 this is the second year I thought this and said nothing but for the record. I voted once and only once and for only one candidate. My reason is two fold first I know Phil and he is the kind of leader that KCBS must have to keep a level head and remember where we come from (others may be as good but I Know Phil) second if two people vote one for Phil and one for otherperson and the other votes or otherperson and anotheranother person Phil is down one vote. Phil you got my vote and unless something very strange happens you will get my vote next year. From other post it is already apparent we need your leadership. Thanks for the Brethren and God Speed next year.
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #21
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I voted because I think we need some representation outside of Kansas City and to keep the board from being nepotistic. The board needs to have more representatives from outside of the Midwest sphere of influence.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #22
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Voted as soon as I got it.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #23
widespread
Full Fledged Farker

I voted for four candidates, all cooks. One made it.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I wonder how many Brethren are Members of the KCBS
Got to reach a wider group and CBJs at that.

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #25
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

I voted because it's the American thing to do. Democracy in action.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #26
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I voted. This is my first year as a KCBS member. I only knew one of the folks running personally, and that was just a short meeting at a competition. The statements made in the Bullsheet and comments made by folks on different forums were what I used to base my vote on. I also searched the forums for conversations the candidates participated in to try and get an idea of who they were.

In the end, 1 of the 3 I voted for made it.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #27
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
I wonder how many Brethren are Members of the KCBS
Got to reach a wider group and CBJs at that.
Well it's probably safe to say less than 497 because all of us voted for Phil. Id' say if we wanted to know a poll on Qtalk may be more appropriate.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #28
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiana mark View Post
I voted because it's the American thing to do. Democracy in action.
Didn't the Greeks invent democracy? Glad you voted.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #29
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Well it's probably safe to say less than 497 because all of us voted for Phil. Id' say if we wanted to know a poll on Qtalk may be more appropriate.
If we find out there are 498, then someone needs beyotch slapped!!!

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
Divemaster

I voted as soon as I got the email
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote