MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh
Default Hunting Sweet Candy Glaze for Chicken

I was at a big mall in Manila where a Korean owned franchise was serving a very spicy chicken with a very sweet, almost candy like glaze on it. The spice was a bit much for me, three bites in and my tastebuds were gone. But I really enjoyed the sweet, slightly sticky yet almost hard glaze. The restaurant, though staffed by Filipinos, was covered with English and Korean menus and advertising. I got the impression the franchise or at least the chicken recipe originated in the USA. They offered other formats, a soy (sauce) based chicken and a garlic chicken but all had the very sweet glaze.

Anyone run into a sweet glaze like this? Probably sugar (white or brown), honey, and some spices, I am guessing. Maybe similar to the Jack Daniels glaze or bourbon glazes I've run across but never made or tasted.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
TonyT
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't know if I'd consider it candy, but Mae Ploy comes to mind when I think of sticky and sweet sauces. It's not really that spicy though, sometimes I have to add some sirracha to it. In the U.S.A I've seen it used in a lot of small chain restaurants here and I even suspect that Round Table uses something very similar on their Maui Zaui pizzas.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatoosh View Post
I was at a big mall in Manila where a Korean owned franchise was serving a very spicy chicken with a very sweet, almost candy like glaze on it. The spice was a bit much for me, three bites in and my tastebuds were gone. But I really enjoyed the sweet, slightly sticky yet almost hard glaze. The restaurant, though staffed by Filipinos, was covered with English and Korean menus and advertising. I got the impression the franchise or at least the chicken recipe originated in the USA. They offered other formats, a soy (sauce) based chicken and a garlic chicken but all had the very sweet glaze.

Anyone run into a sweet glaze like this? Probably sugar (white or brown), honey, and some spices, I am guessing. Maybe similar to the Jack Daniels glaze or bourbon glazes I've run across but never made or tasted.
Why didn't you just ask the people at the restaurant?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Heh heh, sharing recipes in the Philippines is almost universally abhorred! I remember trying a salad in a Filipino restaurant of surprisingly good quality. It was a simple but tasty sweet balsamic vinaigrette. When I asked the waitstaff (who shared cooking duties) what was in it, the reply was, "Secret!". A few years later, the owner happened to be teaching a culinary class in the local university and a brother-in-law was in it. Score!

When I was telling friends how to make this or that, my wife was plucking at my arm, signaling me to STFU! I tried to explain to her I had have people teach me and I was just passing it on. That flew about as far as a fat chicken wrapped in foil.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm certain most recipes are on the internet. You could try to exchange BBQ for their recipe.

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 05-17-2012 at 05:39 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Screw the Philippines.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=candy+glaze

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here's mine: Finger Stickin' Chicken Sauce

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

NorthwestBBQ, sounds good in theory, but it would be like asking a McDonalds employee the secret to their <insert food of choice from McD>. They probably don't know and if they did they wouldn't tell for fear of losing their job. And while most speak some English here, discussing the "recipe" and all it entails, would be considered "nose bleed" territory. Sadly, my Tagalog is as deficient as their English, for the most part.

Pitmaster T Sorry, I did not see the link to the Maybelle glaze when I first read your reply and thought it was part of your signature, not an answer to my question. I do apologize for reading too quickly. It is a bad habit of mine. And I love a good story, such Maybelle's. Very very cool. I'm downloading the youtube episode as I type my apology. So, thanks very much for the guidance and sharing. Very thoughtful of you. I don't really have any recipes for BBQ here yet to share back, but when I do, rest assured, I will happily provide them to any of the BBQ Brethren that are interested!

(Strike Through all this -->) I don't just like the Philippines, I love the place for all its warts. Different countries, different cultures. (<-- Right down to Here)

PatioDaddio, Thanks! That is very close to it. And I love that your recipe is very do-able here except for the Franks Hot Sauce part. I keep running into recipes that call for Franks, must be good stuff. There is local hot sauce which are usually pretty one dimensional and Tabasco. I suppose Tabasco could stand in, though not truly fulfill Franks H.S. role in the recipe?

Last edited by Tatoosh; 05-17-2012 at 11:22 PM..
Tatoosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Tabasco will be fine, just use half the amount. Sriracha mixed with
some vinegar and water would also work well, if that's available.

John

Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, the pickapeppa looks interesting too. Another thing to look for when we come back to the States in a couple of years. However the Sriracha I think I've seen here, so that won't be so much of a challenge. I really like that your recipe balances the sweet and the hot. The outfit in Manila made their chicken a total melt down! I'd swear they were using Habaneros!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatoosh View Post
Thanks, the pickapeppa looks interesting too. Another thing to look for when we come back to the States in a couple of years. However the Sriracha I think I've seen here, so that won't be so much of a challenge. I really like that your recipe balances the sweet and the hot. The outfit in Manila made their chicken a total melt down! I'd swear they were using Habaneros!
Cool. You can use A-1 Steak Sauce in place of the Pickapeppa, if
you have it available.

John

Old 05-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I love this sauce! John, I hope you don't mind me blabbing about it on here to anyone asking for a wing sauce. I don't know if you developed it for wings but it really works for me. Thanks man.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
I love this sauce! John, I hope you don't mind me blabbing about it on here to anyone asking for a wing sauce. I don't know if you developed it for wings but it really works for me. Thanks man.
Dude, blab all you want/can! I'm in the business of making happier eaters, not
seeking glory.

I'm really glad that you like the sauce. I loves me some happy eaters!

Oh, and my entire family is originally from PA (Bellefonte/State College and
Butler), so we're brethren Brethren.

John

Old 05-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #14
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

I love Johns recipes as a general rule and there always worth trying :)

Old 05-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
Smokendink71
Full Fledged Farker

looks good think I will try it on some thighs tomorrow on the uds thanks patio

Tags
candy, chicken, glaze, Sweet