May 12, 2010 KCBS Bod agenda posted

On a level of how does this entire thing really affect you???????? Me, it doesn't. I use the KCBS for what it is. It is a governing body of BBQ comps, thats all. To get all worked up about stuff that goes on in a board room about stuff that will not tamper with your personal life is stupid. I am not sure why anyone would even want to be on the board, you will never make everyone happy and all you will do is make more enemies then friends. My take on the entire thing is let them do what they do and continue on with your life. There were BBQ comps before the KCBS and there will be after if something were to happen. Stick with BBQ for what it is, not for politics and nonsense.

Exactly!

KCBS is a sanctioning organization for BBQ comps, nothing more, nothing less for the most of us.
It is one of many and yes it happens to be the biggest right now, but with all the in-fighting, it won't be for long.

KCBS board seems to have populated itself with pompous a$$es, that are not really interested in furthering BBQ, but furthering KCBS - at the cost of it's core constituents - the cookers. :mad2:

I have cooked in a first year non-sanctioned contest last fall that was better organized, better funded, and better attended that a KCBS comp I attended 2 weeks ago. :shocked:

I am a first year (and last) member of KCBS, and just don't quite "get" what all the fuss it about.

I agree with an earlier poster that there is a lot of opportunities out there to grow this sport, and there is a lot more money funneling into it - but an organization that is headed by an informal BOD (contractor's involved in BOD meetings? what a joke..The organization might as well me renamed the MMA BBQ Association) is not the type of organization that can take advantage of this.

If KCBS wants to see what a small family run organization can do if steered properly can do - they only need to look to the beginnings of NASCAR.
If they want to see what a badly run organization can do - they only need to look in the mirror.

If KCBS wants to see what a small family run organization can do if steered properly can do - they only need to look to the beginnings of NASCAR.
If they want to see what a badly run organization can do - they only need to look in the mirror.
Amazing. Lets compare a for profit to a not for profit. Lets compare a small tightly run family busienss to a national organization.

By law they are run differently and there's just no comparison.

Mods: delete if you want but I'm jsut sick and tired about people bashing the BOD all the time. They are volunteers. They are all trying. It's time people stop being the problem and start being the solution. Within the by-laws of the KCBS we need suggestions and options not this constant bashing.

Amazing. Lets compare a for profit to a not for profit. Lets compare a small tightly run family busienss to a national organization.

By law they are run differently and there's just no comparison.

Mods: delete if you want but I'm jsut sick and tired about people bashing the BOD all the time. They are volunteers. They are all trying. It's time people stop being the problem and start being the solution. Within the by-laws of the KCBS we need suggestions and options not this constant bashing.

Not bashing at all - I welcome your input, as I am sure the BOD welcomes all input - good & bad.
Just calling it as i see it.

I have run for-profit organizations with million's in annual revenues for years, i am quite versed in how for-profit organizations are managed - both good & bad.

I admit I do not have any experience running a non-profit, but do recognize a poorly run organization when I see one.

If you had been at the American Bass Anglers BBQ Tour (KCBS sanctioned event) I was recently at, you would have been as shocked and dismayed as I was, at what a mockery the ABA made out of the the KCBS portion of this event.

Volunteers who get little recognition for what they do - I am familiar with though, and they have my sympathy.
A BOD of a homeowners' association can't even make simple decisions without in-fighting and back biting going on, I am not sure how we expect an organization with as many members and revenue stream as KCBS to do it.

Which is why I am a proponent of remaking the largest BBQ sanctioning organization in the US into something that works.
I don't have a road map or a plan on how to do it, I just don't see it continuing to function (dysfunction is more accurate) as it is currently.

Lots of great posts and opinions here. I am a member of KCBS, a CBJ and I voted in the 22% of voter turnout. All I'm going to say here is I'm currently writing an article for the National Barbecue News on behalf of the National Barbecue Association inviting EVERYONE to join our organization. While plenty of us are also involved with KCBS, there are members of MABA, MBN and numerous other sanctioning bodies and non sanctioned contest organizers. Smoker manufacturers, rub and sauce manufacturers and bottlers, you name it, it's covered in this association. Just wanted all to know that there is a place out there to belong to a bbq family without limiting yourselves to a sanctioning body. Hope you'll all consider it, I've benefited tremendously from being a part of their board and as a business member. Unlike a lot of organizations, we're expected to be on both the receiving and giving end as members and it seems to make our world go round. More explanation in my article, hope you'll all read it.

Just wanted all to know that there is a place out there to belong to a bbq family without limiting yourselves to a sanctioning body.

I appreciate the sentiment and look forward to reading the article.

I may be encouraging thread drift here, but if someone off the street were to ask you why they should join the national bbq association, what would say?

As far as the 'family' and being part of a larger BBQ community, we pretty much have that right here as members of the BBQ Brethren (not that this would preclude joining or participating in any other organization).

Eric

Lots of great posts and opinions here. I am a member of KCBS, a CBJ and I voted in the 22% of voter turnout. All I'm going to say here is I'm currently writing an article for the National Barbecue News on behalf of the National Barbecue Association inviting EVERYONE to join our organization. While plenty of us are also involved with KCBS, there are members of MABA, MBN and numerous other sanctioning bodies and non sanctioned contest organizers. Smoker manufacturers, rub and sauce manufacturers and bottlers, you name it, it's covered in this association. Just wanted all to know that there is a place out there to belong to a bbq family without limiting yourselves to a sanctioning body. Hope you'll all consider it, I've benefited tremendously from being a part of their board and as a business member. Unlike a lot of organizations, we're expected to be on both the receiving and giving end as members and it seems to make our world go round. More explanation in my article, hope you'll all read it.

Did you guys just start up or something? Your forum is as dead as a door knob.

Well Eric I hope you got to read the article...it seemed silly to post the whole thing here.....Haltech.....a forum was posted to the site with good intentions but we are also very aware of the numerous blogs and forums that exist and have grown over the years. It just never took off. What we truly hope is that the brethren forum will post as a member as will other forums so that bbq enthusiast that are members of NBBQA can find YOU. It also is an association that can help those wanting choices in sanctioning bodies, different styles of contest organizers etc. The whole idea of the National Organization is to provide the diversity so often lacking at more focused or more competitive bbq entities. Nowhere else will you see smoker manufacturers side by side showing off their smokers or sauce manufacturers sharing information on how to improve distribution efficiency, lower weight bottling materials, and the like.......it's definitely the place to join if you want to be part of the only organization that has as it's sole goal to be the clearinghouse of bbq no matter what your other affiliations are. I hope this makes sense, it's late, I'm in the dark typing...lol...any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Back