Insulated blankets

M

mes0970

Does anyone know where you can get one of those insulated blankets you put over a smoker in cold weather?

I went to a moving company and got a heavy moving blanket, now they are not fire proof, but they work great.

I think I'm gonna pick up a welding blanket to keep the breeze off the 'dera this winter. Should stand up to heat just fine.

Thnk i will just turn up the thermostat. :roll:

Wrap it in a lawn chair cushion. it works great. (yes im serious and there are pictures to prove it). Floral print seems to work well.

just dont plan on using it for a lawn chair anymore.

BBQchef33 said:
Wrap it in a lawn chair cushion. it works great. (yes im serious and there are pictures to prove it). Floral print seems to work well.

just dont plan on using it for a lawn chair anymore.

Welcome bbqchef33

go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself

He is 2 busy, I'll intro him!

Here he is! :shock: :lol:

I think I'm gonna pick up a welding blanket to keep the breeze off the 'dera this winter. Should stand up to heat just fine

Thank you for actually having an answer to the question I asked kcquer. That is the problem with this group, you ask a simple question that you would like an answer to and you get a bunch of off topic smart a** answers.

ya know mes0970.... I may be a little absent lately, but i check in daily. dont have time to type up myu normally long winded answers to questions that most likely can be answered using a search., in this case I counted on other members to run with a ball when I throw it out on the field. I knew someone would find the picture. (and figured it be Big Al).

My answer WAS SERIOUS, and I stated in it I was serious and not joking. My Bandera spent an entire winter wrapped in lawn chair cushions. They worked great, I saved the remaining ones from the set and used them again the following year. I wrapped back and left side and it held enogh heat to stabilize the temps. Long cooks overnight i wrapped the front.

And Brian is a gasser(propane) so he turns up the thermostat its a legitimate answer. So before ya go off finding problems in the answers and calling them wise a**.. look a little deeper.

geezz.... stand in the wings for a little while and ya get trashed. hmphhhhh.

mes0970 said:
I think I'm gonna pick up a welding blanket to keep the breeze off the 'dera this winter. Should stand up to heat just fine

Thank you for actually having an answer to the question I asked kcquer. That is the problem with this group, you ask a simple question that you would like an answer to and you get a bunch of off topic smart a** answers.

:shock: You might want to change to the old yahoo site.

They do stick to the topic, but they don't know anything worth wild. Check out their last few posts.

Harbor Freight Tools $20.00 for a welding blanket.
DIY shows the use of the foil wrapped bubble wrap on WSM(available at Home Depot) has any one tryed this I would think the bubble wrap in the middle would melt.

Al has tried a load of stuff fro insulating. problem with the bandera is the door is on the front so its a trick to wrap it and the firebox releases alot of heat up the side of the chamber thats hits anything there real hard. The welding blankets work great on the horizontals. I like the lawn cushion. It worked and it was easy and cheap.

sorry if we pissed you off Mes, but after the first 2 responses, you had you answer. I don't know if its Birmingham AL your from, but I have ranted on and on, and so have others on smoking in -10 weather up here, and wind is the enemy. Search posts on cold, wind, and use the author of myself, Mark, 2fat, midnight, and Cue'lio, and all your answers are there.

Its wind thats your problem. I use a cardboard box. Plain and simple. 2fat uses 55gal drums on his WSM's. Put up a windscreen. Its -6 on one Nu temp probe, and 220 on the other, and a single piece of cardboard, blocking the wind, is all the difference.

The moderators, I included, have been quite busy with non-site related stuff. So we haven't scrubbed or split as many posts as we would like. But this particular thread is really not gone crazy.

Qtalk, for the most part, is pretty on topic. even the turkey frying thread drifted, but came right back to have awesome info on Cajun injecting that has helped MArkbet and Solidkick,

just my .02, hope you stick around and have some fun. Fun use to be the first sentence of our group description.

just grabbed this from the old site:

A BOARD OF FUN AND KNOWLEDGE OF BBQ AND SMOKING, this is the "Cheers" of Q'ing and offset smoking.

Back