MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Roby
On the road to being a farker

Default Brinkman Smoke N' Grill

Is the Brinkman smoke and grill Brinkmans version of the WSM? Looks pretty close to same and I found one for cheap.

Thanks, Roby
Roby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Kinda, with lots of mods you can make it into a useful cooker.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

What Johnny said.

They look kinda the same, but that's where the similarity ends.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not really. It may look similar but they are a dime a dozen and do not perform nearly as well as the WSM. Many people have modded them and still find them usable though.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Roby

What all do you need to mod? just wondering if 15 bucks is a waste or if its worth it?

Roby

Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

As Johnny said, with mods. But it will never match up to a WSM! Here is a link of the mods I did to an ECB. It makes great Q IMO but without the mods it's not so good... Cheers!!! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93517

Old 07-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
deguerre

I use mine as a stand for my chimney...
But what the others have said with mods it can actually put out decent food when you learn it's needs.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
bigabyte

You can mod it, but even then I wouldn't compare it to a WSM. A UDS maybe...
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
You can mod it, but even then I wouldn't compare it to a WSM. A UDS maybe...
Well that's not bad right?? lol I don't have the money for WSM so I'm going to build a USD and was just wondering if it was close since it looks real similar. I ought to make my BBQ name "Poor Boi's BBQ" I think I'll pick it up and just tinker with it and try to get her to Q decent tell im able to build my USD.

Roby

Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
bigabyte

A UDS is a great cooker. Don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that the way the Brinkmann comes is similar to just having a drum. You have basically just a barrel that you ahve to mod to make it a cooker. I would actually rate a UDS higher than the Brinkmann too. Even modded.

To break it down really, you can buy an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) for maybe 30-40 bucks on sale, and then make a bunch of mods to it, buying additional parts. Or, you can start with a drum for either free or maybe as high as 25 bucks, then make mods to it and buy additional arts. That's how they are similar, and in the end they are either a similar price or the ECB is a bit more pricey than the UDS. The UDS is a lot bigger. So the UDS is better. The WSM is ready to go right out of the box, no mods necessary. Design-wise, a modded ECB kinda resembles a WSM, but so does a UDS.

If I had to work that hard to "make" a smoker, I would build a UDS, no question.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

For $15 I'd grab it. With my last vent mod I was able to run my ECB at 250F for 10 hours on a single chimney.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
stanimals2
Full Fledged Farker

They tend to get bashed on here from time to time but I have one that I started with and honestly they are a very good starter setup for the price and yes you can cook some great food on them. Its just like ant thing else practice makes perfect, I still use mine if I have a big cook and have the hillbilly cooker full. I say grab it !!
stanimals2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
ksmoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Don't let these guys get you down, there is a big WSM and UDS fan base on here. We all start somewhere and the ECB aka Brinkman Smoke and Grill is where I started. I had one way before anyone thought of mod'ing it. It, without any mods, will work just fine and produce very fine BBQ. For the price, you cant go wrong. You are correct, they are very similar in design, however the WSM is a better version of the design and is better quality. The Brinkman does not seal at the top where the lid meets the main body, which lets out some heat and smoke, making it it less efficent but still works none the less. The ECB also does not have a damper on the bottom of the charcoal bowl.

So to properly answer your question.... Aside from those 2 differences and maybe quality of parts used, yes, the design is indeed similar and will still produce good food.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Roby

Thank's for all the info guy's! I totaly agree that a UDS would be an awesome smoker and I intend on building one in the near future. The CL ad had been on since may 27th, so there's no way he still has it right? Well I called him anyways and he still had it so i met up with him, looked it over and snatched it for 15 bucks Used once and put away since then for 2 years the guy said so it's super clean. Well got it home and it looked like a plain old smoke 'n grill

There she is Than 2 min of my time and a lil cheapy bbq i had sittin around and i got an ECBWSM (El cheapo brinkmann weber smokey mountain) lol

Boom, I think it will smoke now!

Tell me what you think.

Roby

Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
bigabyte

I see no reason that shouldn't be able to work. You might want to fashion a charcoal ring, maybe even put it on a grate raised up from the bottom vent. I think it's farkin' genius! And here I was telling you not to do it.

Duh.