MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Macgos
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default USD Build - New Zealand Style.

So - I am new here, but thought I would post a build thread for my first UDS Kiwi style

I have a small bunch of questions that someone is sure to know the answer too. I was drawn to the oil drum UDS in particular, as I have already built an oil drum Tandoori a year or two ago... here she is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t4.jpg (57.4 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg t5.jpg (55.3 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg t6.jpg (50.1 KB, 426 views)
Macgos is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
Macgos

So I have got myself a drum for free for my UDS - straight out of the re conditioners furnace. Still had a bit of residue - so I sent it off to get sandblastered and powder coated in heat resistant paint. Had to do this as we live in a built up area - can't really do a full on burn to clean it out.

Getting a mate to weild me a charcoal basket and ashpan - from these plans: http://howtobbqright.com/UDSsmokerplans.pdf

Looking at the epic huge thread here on UDS - looks about right..only up to page 100 in the mega huge thread :)

Ok, in NZ we don't have Lowes etc etc... and other parts are little harder to pin down - so I have a couple of questions for starters.

My drum is a 55 gallon - standard drum. Looks like the grills you guys are using are these: http://www.webernz.co.nz/AccessoryDetails.php?id=31 57 cm or 22.5in. The internal diameter of my drum is 59cm..making these a really tight fit... is that the grill measurement of the kettle it is designed for OR the actual grill diameter? At that price - would hate to get it wrong. Our hardware stores don't seem to sell these circular replacement grills....

Also - am keen to get a wireless temp prob for inside the grill... so I can keep an eye on it inside the house...any recommendations? I have come across these:

any good?

cheers for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3197.jpg (61.9 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3194.jpg (63.6 KB, 403 views)

Old 11-06-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
Macgos

Default Here we go...

So I have got myself a drum for free for my UDS - straight out of the re conditioners furnace. Still had a bit of residue - so I sent it off to get sandblastered and powder coated in heat resistant paint. Had to do this as we live in a built up area - can't really do a full on burn to clean it out.

Getting a mate to weild me a charcoal basket and ashpan - from these plans: http://howtobbqright.com/UDSsmokerplans.pdf

Looking at the epic huge thread here on UDS - looks about right..only up to page 100 in the mega huge thread :)

Ok, in NZ we don't have Lowes etc etc... and other parts are little harder to pin down - so I have a couple of questions for starters.

My drum is a 55 gallon - standard drum. Looks like the grills you guys are using are these: http://www.webernz.co.nz/AccessoryDetails.php?id=31 57 cm or 22.5in. The internal diameter of my drum is 59cm..making these a really tight fit... is that the grill measurement of the kettle it is designed for OR the actual grill diameter? At that price - would hate to get it wrong. Our hardware stores don't seem to sell these circular replacement grills....

Also - am keen to get a wireless temp prob for inside the grill... so I can keep an eye on it inside the house...any recommendations? I have come across these:

any good?

cheers for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3194.jpg (63.6 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3193.jpg (110.8 KB, 400 views)

Old 11-06-2014, 03:56 AM   #4
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome!

I don't have advice to offer on the UDS, other than to dig through this site. I know there's a huge UDS thread somewhere that has a ton of good info.

I would be curious to learn more about your tandoor build, though--it looks awesome!

Old 11-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #5
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

There are a lot of ways to build a UDS, you get to build it how ever you want it!
I'd like to learn more about your build and how it cooks. Like mentioned, the MONSTER UDS thread is about as thick as the book War and Peace
There is also a thread for photo gallery.
Welcome to the Brethren.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2014, 04:11 AM   #6
Macgos

Thanks, I will post details on the Tandoori at some point :)

any good?

cheers for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3193.jpg (110.8 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3194.jpg (63.6 KB, 401 views)

Old 11-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like you are off to a great start Macgos...

Looking forward to watching your progress.....
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Mac,

Looks like you're off to a good start mate. The 22.5" is the one to use...it's not that tight of a fit, so you'll be fine.

That tandoor looks sweet! I'll be looking for your build/info thread on that one for sure.

The Maverick that you linked to is one of the most recommended thermos on this site. You might want to look at the 733 as it can do the temp of 2 grills instead of just one.

Cheers bro!

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Wickedcajun
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome!!! That tandori looks sweet!!! Cant give you any info about uds but I will watch to see your mods... Am currently trying to gather my materials for one.. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
mcgreggor57
Knows what a fatty is.

If you keep the design simple, you can get by with fewer pieces of hardware. Have fun with your build!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
smoke ninja

I figured a new Zealand uds would be upside down.

Got any build info on that sweet tandoori?

Old 11-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgos View Post
My drum is a 55 gallon - standard drum. Looks like the grills you guys are using are these: http://www.webernz.co.nz/AccessoryDetails.php?id=31 57 cm or 22.5in.
That is the kettle diameter. The grill itself is smaller.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
SmittyJonz

That grill should work fine. A lot of people on here use those Mavericks.

A simple intake idea:

Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

+ 1 for the Maverick ET-732. And Welcome!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
Macgos

wow - great response guys - much appreciated!

Good tips - might look at this thermo with two probes...cool you can measure grill AND meat temp...awesome.

Thanks re advice on grills.... that solves that issue.

Re tandoori... will throw up some build pics soon. It's amazing...heats up to 450 deg C......need it hot to "slap" the naans, and cooks the chicken thighs on the skewers in about 6 mins.... best tasting chicken ever! yum....

In the Mega thread - the suggestion is for 8 holes drilled around the lid. Is this still the current consensus on a flat lid? That's all I have. no weber lid for me (...yet) - speaking of which is it better with one??

N8MAN did this outstanding diagram which I intend to use....http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=6010

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->