MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
WSM2
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question BBQ related desserts - ideas please.

Hey guys,

I am wanting to turn my culinary creativity up a bit and make something a bit special for our local church group. I'm looking for a recipe that could be either smoked or grilled, it would be very sweet and it might be bite sized. It could be wrapped in a phillo dough as a small triangle too. What ever it is, it should be decadent. And it won't contain any meat.

Have you got any ideas for something simple?

Thanks everyone.
WSM2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I don't, but I've gotten great ideas from cowgirl's posts.
i.e. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=90226
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Smoked Pineapple. It's easy and delicious. Find ripe ones, skin and halve longways, drizzle w/honey and turbinado sugar. Smoke (we like Pecan) until color is nice and core is tender. It will soften on a ripe one, not on green one. Then we pan after cubing into large chunks, add more honey and sugar along with some dark rum,1/4" in pan and return to heat until fluid is absorbed. Good stuff.I guess decandence would come from type of tooth pick or stabbing device and maybe a cherry on top. You said no meat, so no bacon wrapped peaches or pineapples. Too bad. Good luck. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
jestridge

banana pudding only thing bbq need
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
caseydog

One thing I love about fine dining in Britain is the fruit and cheese course they do after a fine meal. It is usually served with a Porto or other after dinner drink, but you could skip that for your church -- unless you are Lutheran (like me).

Smoke some cheese and grill some fruits. It will definitely be a first time treat for a lot of people.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

How about crepes? Then you could enter the throwdown.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
banana pudding only thing bbq need
is that the only thing you southern boys know, Comon' now some imagination please.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Big Frank
Full Fledged Farker

Wonton wrappers stuffed with Nutella.
22" weber
Weber Genesis S-330
Camerons Stovetop Smoker
Super-Fast Splash-Proof[COLOR="Red"] RED[/COLOR] Thermapen
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B] [I] Imbas Certified MOINK Baller [/B][/I]
[/COLOR][/FONT]
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Big Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
jestridge

This not rocket science it bbq plain and simple. When you have something good why try and improve it. Next thing you know they be drinking hot tea with q
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
firemedic
On the road to being a farker

I make peach shortcake. Use shortcake cups like for strawberry shortcake or make your own out of bisquick (recipe on the box is good with extra vanilla and sugar). Cut your peaches in half, remove the pit and grill over low heat with a pat of butter, a tbsp or so of brown sugar and a splash of bourbon or GOOD dark rum (Ron Zacapa can't be beat). When the skin is starting to slough off and the fruit is slightly softened pull em off, remove the skin and serve over shortcakes with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.
firemedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Grilling fruits. Great ideas. Love the Pineapple and peach ideas.
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anchorman View Post
is that the only thing you southern boys know, Comon' now some imagination please.
Check out this 'nana puddin it's got all the imagination anyone will ever need to enjoy after some good ole Southern style Q,

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s...-glazed-pecans
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I second the grilled pineapple/peaches, me and the whole family love them. Lot of good recipes out there for it.

Only other thing I do is make Bana smores in some hot coals, picked that up from a buddy who's a Boy Scout troop leader. Good eats, but messy eats too.

I use a pineapple recipe that uses some heat to counter the sweet, and I think it's really great.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
BDAABAT
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Second to Jazzybadger's rec for banana s'mores... We've done these for Scouts and they are easy and readily customizable. Take a banana, peel most of the way, but keep the bottom attached, slit lengthwise, drop in chocolate chips, nuts, marshmallows, whatever you like! Wrap up in peel, then wrap in foil. Drop foil packs into the fire for ~10-15 mins, remove and chow down. Ooey, gooey, sticky, and delish.

Bruce
Blackstone pizza oven
Blackstone 36" griddle
Weber gas grill
BDAABAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dessert