MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default To be considered a State Champion

My question is in reference to sigs I am having made for my vending. We won two comps that were considered state championships, can I make signs that say NJ state champion and Delaware State champion? I do not want to make signs that are not actually considered real. Thanks for the Help.

Also if you took first in a category in a state are you considered state champion for that category? I have seen signs that say Brisket State champion or MD rib state champion?

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

I would go with the name of the contest, and outcome....i.e. Maryland State Champion, Dover, Contest Name, 2009....
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I guess that might depend on how many state championships the states have - if a state only has one, I don't see who could argue.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Now look at Myron, he is a "x" time world champion.... but he counts his Whole Hog wins as "world Champion" in whole hog, not just overall wins... etc.

I think the rule is that if you feel you can back it, state it. There is definately some "detail" in fine print behind some of these titles...

IMHO, if you win a state championship event... you can call yourself a state champion. If you win a catagory... you can say, state champion - brisket.

Or if you are worried about someone splitting hairs, go with grand champion.
Now in NY, they have an Empire State champion, that can actually say they are the undisputed state champ... That kicks arse. Just sayin'

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Thanks guys!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
Now in NY, they have an Empire State champion, that can actually say they are the undisputed state champ... That kicks arse. Just sayin'
Not necessarily true, at least until there is a unification competition, because the Empire State Championship doesn't include every NY State Championship competition.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Not necessarily true, at least until there is a unification competition, because the Empire State Championship doesn't include every NY State Championship competition.
It did include all NYS KCBS sanctioned events.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
My question is in reference to sigs I am having made for my vending. We won two comps that were considered state championships, can I make signs that say NJ state champion and Delaware State champion? I do not want to make signs that are not actually considered real. Thanks for the Help.

Also if you took first in a category in a state are you considered state champion for that category? I have seen signs that say Brisket State champion or MD rib state champion?
Read the signs of other vendors. They streach the truth a little. If you won you won go with it. The only people who would complain are the the other vendors who already are doing it.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
Read the signs of other vendors. They streach the truth a little. If you won you won go with it. The only people who would complain are the the other vendors who already are doing it.
I thought you had to be from the state to be the state champion, and that you didnt have to actually win the comp just be the highest finisher.

how does this play out as far as being the State rep for the Jack? Pa is doing a Govenors cup (awarded at NewHolland) based on Pa teams competing in Pa sanctioned comps?
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

As far as last years Jack, the IA draw was from MO, the MO draw was from KS, the KS draw was a team split between one cook in KS and the other in MO. Which state a team is from has little to do with the Jack draw. But they do pick a team to represent every state that has a competition that is a qualifier.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

If the day ever comes when I/we win a State Championship you can bet I'll call myself a State Champion. That's different from saying THE state champion. If you win it, own it!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
As far as last years Jack, the IA draw was from MO, the MO draw was from KS, the KS draw was a team split between one cook in KS and the other in MO. Which state a team is from has little to do with the Jack draw. But they do pick a team to represent every state that has a competition that is a qualifier.
very interesting.. 2 years ago PA didnt have a State rep. Pa Midnite Smokers got in because of their win in Dover Del. not for winning NewHolland PA. Im pretty sure that NH was the only Pa comp that year.

I guess my question is...can a state have a sanctioned contest and not be represented?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
If the day ever comes when I/we win a State Championship you can bet I'll call myself a State Champion. That's different from saying THE state champion. If you win it, own it!
you and me both brother!!!! What a thrill that would be (dream mod).

Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post

Or if you are worried about someone splitting hairs, go with grand champion.
I will someday win the empire state champ...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
very interesting.. 2 years ago PA didnt have a State rep. Pa Midnite Smokers got in because of their win in Dover Del. not for winning NewHolland PA. Im pretty sure that NH was the only Pa comp that year.

I guess my question is...can a state have a sanctioned contest and not be represented?
They pull State Champions first. Doesnt matter where your home state is. After that if there are any home states not represented they add those teams to the invited list.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote