Catering/food vending in PA

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking at maybe starting a side business venture selling BBQ. I am thinking of setting up in a market or hooking up with a roadside produce stand. I am wondering if there are any brethren who are doing the same in PA. What are licensing fees like? Are the regulations pretty strict and how much can I expect to fork out per year? Thanks.

First off you'll need some type of certified kitchen to get your license from the state with all the proper items, Secondly you'll need insurance, thirdly you'll need to be serve safe certified. The fee from the state, insurance, serve safe class, etc you could be looking at 800-1200 dollars per year to be legal. Depending on your certified kitchen wether you rent or own it. the 800-1200 would be just the insurance and license. The first thing I did when starting was went to our local department of agriculture and sat down with the food safety supervisor and talked with him about my plan what worked and didn't work, and he put me in the right direction. I don't try to stay off their radar, if I have a question about something I call them up, I take no chances. I actually have a meetin with them tomorrow on a few issues. Feel free to send me a private message and I'll pass on my email. be glad to offer ya what help I can. Good Luck.

Thanks Tiny, tried a PM but it wouldn't send due to a full mailbox. Think I saw your setup at Summerfest in New Holland PA last weekend? Looking at vending in around five years or so due to the ages of my kids and financial considerations.

Back