How long to heat up - UDS

SCPossum

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How long does it take for the average UDS to get up to 200+ temperatures? Cranked it up for the first time and I am trying to figure out if it is on par.

I know the answers will vary, but it will give me a rough idea.

Not long at all but it depends on

how you light it
what fuel you use
how much fuel
all or no valves and number of open.

Mine winds up in about 10 min.

Not long at all but it depends on

how you light it
what fuel you use
how much fuel
all or no valves and number of open.

Mine winds up in about 10 min.
Ditto. Watch grease buildup.

I start with dumping about 10 - 12 hot coals into by basket full of charcoal. It takes a little while to get to temp, but I can always catch it on the way up.

I also have found I get the best results when I wait 45 minutes or so after getting to temp before adding the meat. I know others don't do it this way, but I find it easier to maintain temps if I do this.

The thing you need to realize is that there are not two UDSs that cook the same. You need to work with yours and figure out what works best for you.

I start with dumping about 10 - 12 hot coals ...

That is what the problem is. I lit about 5 coals on top with a little propane torch and put it in. Probably should have lit a few more. It is getting hotter now. Might be up all night :shock:.

Thanks for all the answers to the question! I have three 3/4" inlets at the bottom and a single chimney at the top. I guess it is 3" at the top. I have to leave them all open right now, but I am watching it.

I start with dumping about 10 - 12 tons hot coals into by basket full of charcoal. It takes a little while to get to temp, but I can always catch it on the way up.

I also have found I get the best results when I wait 45 days or so after getting to temp before adding the meat. I know others don't do it this way, but I find it easier to maintain temps if I do this.

The thing you need to realize is that there are not two UDSs that cook the same. You need to work with yours and figure out what works best for you. I have a really big drum.
Hmmmph.

That is what the problem is. I lit about 5 coals on top with a little propane torch and put it in. Probably should have lit a few more. It is getting hotter now. Might be up all night :shock:.

Thanks for all the answers to the question! I have three 3/4" inlets at the bottom and a single chimney at the top. I guess it is 3" at the top. I have to leave them all open right now, but I am watching it.

Lift the lid for a minute......It'll get hot FAST!

I do mine the same as trp1fox for the most part. Dump 12 lit coals on and leave lid off for about 10 min. Then lid on with all vents open. Close vents down in about another 10 min. leaving one vent about 75% open and ball valve 100% open. Then as I get to temp I close the last vent and usually within about another 10 minutes we're at about 230* or so and ready for action.

Mine has a single 2" intake that comes up the side of the drum and a Weber lid. I light the basket with a weed burner for about 30 to 45 seconds only. Leaving the lid vent wide open & the intake about 2/3 open it will come up to 230 dome temp within a half an hour, depending on outside temps.
Of course, each UDS is built different so YMMV :biggrin:

Back