MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
walrus79
On the road to being a farker

Default Real simple gig, brisket for 50-75, need confirmation on #s please.

So, my second small cooking/catering gig is coming up and again need some confirmation or additional feedback on estimates. Customer simply wants sliced (flat and point meat) and sauced brisket for 50-75 guests for a reception. I'm thinking I'll need about 50lbs precooked to yield 30lbs cooked meat. This will give me about right between 1/3 and 1/2 lb per serving (factoring for 75 servings). This will be pretty much the only protein there with several sides I'm told.

Do these #s seem accurate? I'm wondering if my pre to cooked weight yield is too low at 40% loss...should I make that 50% and start with 60lbs?

Thanks brethren for the any and all feedback.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I always cook a little more than the math tells me, especially if people are not used to good Q and/or it is the only protein. Brisket reheats well for whomever is paying you. My parents taught me to never run out of food for those you are serving. My 2 cents. 40% loss is a reasonable average. Assuming 1/3 of a pound for brisket is where I think there may be an issue.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I would say add 10% to your max estimate, you certainly don't want to under deliver at a reception. And if you make an extra brisket above what you are thinking now, charge accordingly and you have nothing to lose.

That being said, I'm not a caterer so there are better qualified guys to answer that.