MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smoked a few whole chickens in the past couple of months.

Almost all of them were very fatty and unpleasent. I have bought different brands and still the same thing. Is there any way of choosing a bird with less fat? Sorry im still new to this.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Slasher
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My rule for smoking birds... BRINE FIRST ALWAYS!!! The best smoked/grilled birds have always been some organic free range bird we got from a local farm... But the others aren't too bad... except when I had the steam propane smoker... (rubbery skin)

Old 05-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've had really good luck with the purdue "extra meaty" birds in the green and yellow wrapper if you can find them.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wonder about your process. All chickens have a fair amount of fat. Even the pasture raised ones that I buy. You have to cook them at either a high enough heat, or long enough cook, to get them done right. Brining is a good technique to insure a moist bird.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like you are not cooking them hot enough. I cook mine at around 300 degrees until the thigh is about 165 or so. Most chickens are fatty, so you need to cook them hot and fast to render the fat and get that good crusty skin.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, like others have said. High heat is key with chicken fryers. I'm talking 325-350 degrees here, at least that's what I cook mine at.

Then I might even towards the end of the cook move them down closer to the coals, allowing the skin to crisp up even more.

You can cook them low and slow, but it takes longer, when I cook mine high heat we're talking like an hour and a half, two hours maybe, and they're generally done. I haven't done any in about a year now, but I just got four from Sam's Club I'm actually gonna do in an hour or so.

When it's low and slow, the "rubber chicken" skin might be there, but you can also get around this by searing the skin closer to the coals towards the end of the cook.

I do highly suggest high heat cooking on the fryers though, definitely my favorite.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
DaChief
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
Sounds like you are not cooking them hot enough. I cook mine at around 300 degrees until the thigh is about 165 or so. Most chickens are fatty, so you need to cook them hot and fast to render the fat and get that good crusty skin.

Completely agree!

BGE Large
WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Go-Anywhere
Turkey Fryer

"Go on! Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
-- Daffy Duck
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I'm starting to believe chickens don't smoke well. The skin restricts the smoke from flavoring the meat- unless cooked high the skin will be rubbery. Even with beer can chicken the meat is moist but mostly flavorless. The best way to prepare chicken is indirect on the grill and then crisp the skin at the end IMO.
Vision is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

I did a beer can chicken with root beer and I thought it was moist and very flavorful. I also have heard people using grape or orange soda or even like whiskey and coke for a different flavor.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Beer can chicken with some aromatics along with your liquid of choice in the "can" cooked at 325+ turns out an amazing bird in my opinion.

I usually use pecan when smoking chicken.

As others have mentioned you definitely want some heat to get everything to render properly.

If I am going for crispy skin I will either kick it up to 400+ at the end or finish over a direct fire. Rub a little canola oil or even better, butter onto the skin and that will also help crisp it up nicely.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Call me crazy.... I prefer to skin & remove most all the fat. Then brine for at least 6 hours. Pat dry and rub with EVOO and S&P (maybe a bit of celery seed and/or cilantro) and then on the grill/smoker ~300F with a bit of apple or cherry. The bird picks up plenty of smoke. Prolly 'cause the skin isn't in the way... Cheers!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

I'm having so so results with my BBQ Cornell Chicken as well. The recipe calls for halving the birds, but we simply spatchcock them for the grill. I am going to try a different tactic now. We will do the marinade, then spatchcock. But I will smoke them for one hour at 200F or so. Then I will kick the charcoal grill up to 300F to 350F range and finish them. Spatchcocked, the chicken tends to lose fat easily and cook quickly.

We also trim some of the fat off the bird, particularly around the tail end. The birds here are not as big as the ones in the States, but the fat ratio seems about the same.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
Call me crazy.... I prefer to skin & remove most all the fat. Then brine for at least 6 hours. Pat dry and rub with EVOO and S&P (maybe a bit of celery seed and/or cilantro) and then on the grill/smoker ~300F with a bit of apple or cherry. The bird picks up plenty of smoke. Prolly 'cause the skin isn't in the way... Cheers!!!
That's what I've been thinking of doing.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatoosh View Post
I'm having so so results with my BBQ Cornell Chicken as well.
My experiment with cornell cx produced a bland bird. Must be hype. Try roadside cx instead.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Beer can is a myth, spatchcock em and enjoy. 225 degrees, bone down and go to town. I don't brine small birds like chickies.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote