Rain rain, go away... (UDS rain mod)

chobint

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well it's raining again and it just so happens that my umbrella wedges firmly between the two inlet pipes. She's holding strong with mild wind. Not recommended in a storm tho. I've got a full packer on there at the moment. Sure hope it turns out good!

And yes that is my beloved kettle sitting top open in the rain :oops:. I am working on getting a second lid, or at least a piece of plywood to keep the rain out.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0248_compressed.jpg
    IMG_0248_compressed.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 285
This Bud's for you, Mr. Ugly Drum Smoker In the Rain Improvisor Guy :clap2:

Foiled for resting, then into the double cooler for a nap. I'll try to get some slicing pics later. Sooo hungry....

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 239
I'll trade you a OTS lid for some of that rain. :wink:

CD

nice umbrella mod. I can't quite tell in the pics, but can you keep the umbrella there and still open the lid?

I was under the impression that having the exhaust lower than the intake is not good for promoting proper air flow?

Heard stories of smokers running backwards, ie smoke travels out the intake and exhaust draws in air.

Hey guys, was just taking a nap while the meat rested.

nice umbrella mod. I can't quite tell in the pics, but can you keep the umbrella there and still open the lid?
Yes, the lid still opens with the umbrella wedged in there. I'll try to go take another pic from a better angle.

I was under the impression that having the exhaust lower than the intake is not good for promoting proper air flow?
Heard stories of smokers running backwards, ie smoke travels out the intake and exhaust draws in air.

You are correct. However, that rule generally applies to where the inlets/outlets enter the actual body of the drum. In my case, the inlets are below the fire basket and the exhaust is above the fire basket. Because the inlets enter the drum below the fire basket, the heat and exhaust would have to go down before going up. Hope that helps.

you could send that rain my way, my uds is on a covered porch so i can still cook with no worries

I donno if that gives you an idea, but basically the umbrella fits such that the lid slides in right next to it.

On to the brisky. Well... the picture quality is almost as bad as that smoke ring! Not my proudest day of smoking. It was tasty but coulda used a bit more smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 165
Nice UDS and Phoods!
Is that rust on the outside of the UDS?
If so...it scores extra points for Uglyness in my book!:cool:

I am impressed!! I like the mod!!! Congrats on that exceptional fine looking UDS too!! (I have one that could pass as the older, uglier sister of your UDS. I am working hard to keep the U in UDS!!)

Back