Keri's Hog Apple Beans

Big Jim BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I tried some Keri's Hog Apple Beans a few weeks age and really liked them. I was wondering if anyone had tried any variations to the recipe like maybe using bacon instead of the pulled pork or maybe even using smoked sausage instead of the pulled pork. Both seems like they would work well. What do you think?

I thought there was bacon in the recipe already. I've used JD sausage instead of PP.

Everybody loves those beans when we take them to an outing.

I often use a chopped up naked fatty in place of pulled pork... it works really well.

Yep, like LMAJ said. Our favorite is with a smoked naked fatty. Anything will work just fine. We chop smoked rib trimmings, brisket, pulled pork, and freeze for them as well to add.

We made a huge batch for a church-wide fundraiser.... Everyone loved them!!! We will be making these on a regular basis!

I actually used Keri's as a base for my own bean recipe. I combined ideas from it and another couple of recipes and added my own twist. Here's my recipe for Wampus's Peach Bourbon Baked Beans:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109907

It's a little different than Keri's, but I did use a crumbled naked maple fatty for mine. It really makes the beans.

Give it a shot and let us know!!

I thought there was bacon in the recipe already. I've used JD sausage instead of PP.

Everybody loves those beans when we take them to an outing.

There is, but only a small amount and it looks like to me the main use of bacon is for the grease to saute the onions and peppers. I was thinking of using a good bit more bacon.

There is, but only a small amount and it looks like to me the main use of bacon is for the grease to saute the onions and peppers. I was thinking of using a good bit more bacon.

They sell bulk bacon at the local store. In the pakaged meat case the sell the cut offs from squaring up the bulk. I buy them cuz they are a lot cheaper and separate and toss in a basket and cook 2/3 of the way in smoker then toss in pan and finish with onions and peppers.

They sell bulk bacon at the local store. In the pakaged meat case the sell the cut offs from squaring up the bulk. I buy them cuz they are a lot cheaper and separate and toss in a basket and cook 2/3 of the way in smoker then toss in pan and finish with onions and peppers.
Good idea:clap2:

I use maple syrup instead of the brown sugar and fresh granny smith apples instead of the pie filling.

Oh yeah - I stopped putting brown sugar in it - the apple pie filling makes it sweet enough for us.

like others said..bacon is in original recipe. I use whatever other meat I have in fridge/freezer. usually combo of a fatty and pulled pork. brisket is good too but for some reason, rarely have leftovers of that :)

I started using fresh app,es instead of pie filling. If you are not holding them for too long it adds some more texture to the beans!

It's kinda like chile, use what you got for meat.

I like to use pulled pork the best. The texture is better than sausage to my way of thinking.

My beans are pretty close to her recipe, but I dont use any pie filling. For me, the bush beans are pretty sweet to begin with. I tried the pie filling once but It was too much for me. I also do not use the blues hog either. I add a tad bit of brown sugar. I also mix my beans half and half. I use one can of bushes beans and one can of another brand that is not as sweet.

I like to use cherry preserves instead of the apple pie filling. and i will use what ever meat i have on hand, or else chop up a fatty. I also will use what ever sauce and or rub is handy.
Took some to a work pot luck and I felt sorry for the other person who brought beans. at the end of it, my pot was empty, and hers barley looked touched.

Back