MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
unixadm
Take a breath!

Talking New to me Lang 36 Patio Stainless Steel - Thank you CL!

Yesterday I took delivery of an Assassin 28 and today was a Craigslist purchase. I picked up a 2011 Lang 36 Patio with the stainless steel chamber for $560 and that included both shelves, a nice weed burner and a BBQ poker. I thought I did pretty damn good. I'm in California and finding a name brand stick burner on CL is pretty rare. I was looking at a Lang 84 Deluxe when this one showed up. The 36 is better for me since I just wanted to experiment with stick burning.

My day started at 5:30 AM when I woke up to start preparing for my trip. Loaded up my 4Runner V8 with straps, moving blankets, water and some basic tools. All told the old lady still managed to exceed 15 MPG on the round trip which was almost 200 miles.

The mission, pick this up in Novato, CA:

Stopped at U-Haul at 8:30 AM and they had the trailer for me... although it was pretty beat down compared to the last one I rented:

Made it to Novato pretty quickly because I beat the traffic into the Bay Area. I kept it around 55-60 all the way there. I didn't take pictures when I got there because the guy was a lot bigger than me and I didn't want to be weird. So fast forward 200 miles and about four hours and I arrived back at the house with this:

I didn't take pictures of the next part, but this unit had a VERY poor fitting door - I mean like you can see into the chamber from the corners of the door. A medium sized crescent wrench to grab the metal and a long 2x4 to block open the door fixed about 60-70% of the issues. The bottom edge still needs some work, but it's MUCH better than before. With a bit more work I'll have it 90%. I don't know if it came that way or if it's a symptom of the stainless or prior owner abuse. The welding and assembly of the door is pretty bad to be fair, but the rest of the unit looks pretty good. I mean you can see the handle on the door is taller on one side than the other because the handle round bar was bent incorrectly or at least it should have been cut down to be the same height from the door. It's not, it's about 3/8" taller on the right side. Oops. It's like they had one "so-so" guy welding doors and another good welder doing the rest. :)

Hit with with my mini-weed burner and then pressured washed the interior and exterior. It was pretty dirty and cruddy, so the inside and outside got a good 45 minutes worth of 2,500 PSI lovin. After her bath:

Now I don't have much in the way of firewood, so it's lump and a mix some some hardwood chunks which I didn't like and grocery store firewood for this run. I'm ordering wood this coming week. I got it fired up with TBS right off the bat. I guess playing with fire when I was a kid has paid off!

Pretty close between the ET-732 and the door thermometer:

Now I did the double steam clean and got even more gunk out of the cooker. My poor lawn is black from the earlier pressure washing:

Coat of Canola oil:

I'll coat the chamber when it cools off - I didn't want to get much oil on the exterior to save me time in degreasing tomorrow when I repaint it.

I'm going to let it burn itself out now but she's holding steady at around 248 degrees. I'll probably mess around with the dampers a bit more before calling it a night. It's obvious when you choke the fire off too much - sorry neighbors! There is no other cooker that puts out that "smell" though. Oh that reminds me, I'm gonna throw an onion in there. I read about that and I have one that has been sitting in the basket a little longer than I'd like. However the smell from the smoke of this thing just really makes it for me. You just don't get that with pellets - I might get some of it with the Assassin 28. This will not be my primary cooker, but one when I want to drink beer and play with fire.

Oh and the guy sold it because he didn't like having to tend the fire and is looking to go pellets. I told him I've been on pellets and wanted to tend a fire. Go figure! haha.

So next up:
  • Repaint.
  • Convert upper shelf to sliding.
  • Build a charcoal basket. I'm going to use some of the nice angle iron that was part of the crate my Assassin 28 came in, plus expanded metal. Or I may plasma cut a 1/4" bottom plate for the box on my CNC table. Not sure yet.
  • Paint the wheels black.
  • Build a wood warming rack 12" above the firebox to preheat splits.
  • Build a tool holder.
  • Cook some good que!

Last edited by unixadm; 01-04-2014 at 09:31 PM..
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Nice Score!

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Ya that's a good cl score for sure.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Mark M
Full Fledged Farker

That's an excellent steal. If you don't like it, let me know.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice! Looks great after the pressure wash...we can't do that for a while. We don't see those CL scores here.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Great deal!

Fun couple days for you ;)

Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
bluegrass smoke
Full Fledged Farker

very nice!!
bluegrass smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Thats a great find.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
IamMadMan

Great score on the Stainless Chamber Lang.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd give my left nut to find one in Canada

Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

Hoping to find one in the Nashville area on CL.
jonmhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
unixadm
Take a breath!

Thanks guys. It's slim pickings out here in CA for offset smokers. I have found several FEC100's, Weber's and such - however name brand offsets are not coming up very frequently.

I spent a couple more hours with the Lang 36 and it's very easy to control. A little wood and lump, kept it going. Threw that onion and some garlic in there and wow, it smelled so good on my patio. I figured I'd drink a hard cider and see what this "tending a fire" is all about.

Gotta say, I liked it.

That onion trick I read about being tested... it works!:

Tired ass me from two busy days of receiving, buying and selling smokers. Sold my Char Griller Akorn today after I got back with the Lang 36. Delivered it while I had the trailer. Shameless selfie:

I did some temperature checks and it seems the top grate runs about 25 degrees hotter than the bottom. The bottom has about a 70 degree differential from left to right, with the firebox side being significantly hotter. I'm going to see if I can build a deflector to help even the temps just a bit more, because I prefer to not move things around the chamber if I don't have to. Add that to the list of mods.

While the Lang may not have the prettiest welds, it does run pretty dang nice. I'm using a single damper and have a good idea where I'll need to end up if I build a fire like I did today going forward.

More pictures tomorrow after I give it a quick wire brush, a little sanding and a couple coats of paint.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Time to update that sig

Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuddy View Post
Time to update that sig
:) Done.

Trying to get one of my other buddies to buy my WSM.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #15
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Wow, great score. Congrats!

Tags
Lang 36 patio