MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Default Thinking about getting a Lang 36 Patio

Been wanting a stick burner for sometime now and after reading every thread on the Lang I could find, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 36 Patio. Before everyone jumps on here and tells me I'll regret not getting the 48, I have to say I have a BWS Chubby and have never felt I needed more room. I cook mostly for my wife and sometimes her kids come over, so I'm comfortable with the 36. Being new to the stick burner world I'd like to ask how much wood I'd use on lets say a 10 hour cook? I live in St. Louis and have no access to free wood so anyone local that would like to give me advice on where to pick some up would be greatly appreciated.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have a Lang but I do have a reverse flow made out of a 120 gallon tank so it's a little smaller than a Lang 60. With that being said, I did a hog a while back and this was my wood/charcoal consumption for a 12 hour cook:

2 - Weber chimney's full of Kingsford Blue
14 - splits of seasoned wood approximately 16in long by 4.5 inches in diameter.

I ran it at 250-275 the entire run. After getting it up to temp with the charcoal and 3 pieces of wood, I was only using one split every ~75 minutes.
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
KaiserKrebs
Got Wood.

Those Lang's are awesome looking, wanting to put one on my wish list. I'm curious as to what your impressions of it will be if / when you pull the trigger. I like the hybrid 36.
KaiserKrebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

I also start the fire with Charcoal, but I use Kingsford Competition. Once I get a hot fire, I throw 3 12 inch splits on the fire and let them turn to hot coals. From then on out, it's one split every 30-40 minutes on my Lang 36.

P.S Get the 48. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Wish I had the 4

Old 08-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Lang 36 patio...One thing to remember/consider is that the fire box is smaller...the door opening is 12"x12"...you can put a full split 18"in the box but its tight, and the cooker will get to hot for a low and slow cook...you can use 1/4 splits but its usually to much for my cooker as well...So I have my 1/4 splits cut in half to 9"and these are perfect for me...after my cooker is up to temp and I have a good coal bed it uses about 1 per 90min to hold temp of 250...maybe slightly more or less...but if I work the air intakes I can postpone adding more wood...also with the cooker running that long(10 HRS) it will need less and less fuel to stay locked in since its heat soaked and the coal bed just gets sweeter...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserKrebs View Post
Those Lang's are awesome looking, wanting to put one on my wish list. I'm curious as to what your impressions of it will be if / when you pull the trigger. I like the hybrid 36.
I was looking at the hybrid as well but decided against it. I live in the city in an 80 year old house so the yards are not that big so space may cause an issue with me. I already have a Weber 22OTS so I opted out of the hybrid.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserKrebs View Post
Here's mine that's been modded...(Bottle opener)...the impression I have is that its a good cooker that does everything it should...there may be others and better but the debate will go on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (63.5 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by MeatCandy; 08-19-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCandy View Post
I have a Lang 36 patio...One thing to remember/consider is that the fire box is smaller...the door opening is 12"x12"...you can put a full split 18"in the box but its tight, and the cooker will get to hot for a low and slow cook...you can use 1/4 splits but its usually to much for my cooker as well...So I have my 1/4 splits cut in half to 9"and these are perfect for me...after my cooker is up to temp and I have a good coal bed it uses about 1 per 90min to hold temp of 250...maybe slightly more or less...but if I work the air intakes I can postpone adding more wood...also with the cooker running that long(10 HRS) it will need less and less fuel to stay locked in since its heat soaked and the coal bed just gets sweeter...
Thanks for the information, this is exactly what I was needing to know. BTW I think I may have to steal that mod idea from you. I'm investigating cheaper shipping, the $550 I was quoted from Lang seems a little high.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Hopefully my next smoker purchase will be a Lang 36 patio as well. And fortunately for me Lang is only about an hour and a half drive from my house so I'll just be trailering it home.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Jlane...
You are correct $550 on top is tough...I paid that for shipping to So Cal...it was delivered by two Lang locals on a Chevy 2500 pick up with 3 other smokers being transplanted to So Cal...All of the cookers I compared to the Lang 36 were built in the South and come with a big shipping charge to civilization...It is what it is...

The other mod you will need to make is to cut up an old cooking grate (whatever you have)to sit on top of the Lang fire grate...Since the Kingsford that you use to start the cooker will fall through the huge expanded steel that they use...

Last edited by MeatCandy; 08-19-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Jlane...
You are correct $550 on top is tough...I paid that for shipping to So Cal...it was delivered by two Lang locals on a Chevy 2500 pick up with 3 other smokers being transplanted to So Cal...All of the cookers I compared to the Land 36 were built in the South and come with a big shipping charge to civilization...It is what it is...

The other mod you will need to make is to cut up an old cooking grate (whatever you have)to sit on top of the Lang fire grate...Since the Kingsford that you use to start the cooker will fall through the huge expanded steel that they use...
$550 to the west coast I get, but I'm in the middle of the damn country, just seems steep. I'm checking things out on uship.com, see if I can get it knocked down a bit.

Thanks for the tip on the fire grate. I also have a weed burner I might use.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

I've got the 36" Hybrid Patio and I LOVE IT!!!

Only problem is the smaller firebox, but I got the JawSaw and can cut down to size.

I can keep the temp right on 275 for up to 2.5 hours without adding wood. Works GREAT!!!

Shipping was a Botch ($450 to NC), but once you smoke on it once, you will be hooked!!!

My next smoker will be a LANG 48", not because I don't like my 36, but so I can compete without loading it onto a trailer.

"We're cooking on a LANG!"
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Weed Burner...Yep, I use one too...Pile up the Kinsford in the middle, stack a couple splits on top...fire up the weed burner...shortly thereafter its chugging away...With the weedburner lighting the coals and heating the cooking area you can knock off a large portion of the start-up time...

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Jlane...
...All of the cookers I compared to the Land 36 were built in the South and come with a big shipping charge FROM civilization...It is what it is...
Clearly you made a typo which I fixed for you.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Get yourself a Lang!!! I'm getting one soon as well.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote