MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
From my understanding a liner is plastic correct? The inside of this drum is all metal.. The second picture where I hold a tape measure to the inside of the drum showing the spacing between the rack screws. But you guys got me nervous now, lol. I will take a razor to it and make sure there is no liner. Like I mentioned before the white stuff is Crisco that I smeared on to season it.
No, the liner is some polymer that is applied to the metal before the drum is rolled if I recall correctly. It is essentially a very tough "paint" that keeps the barrel contents from reacting with the metal. Food grade barrels have this liner to keep the food safe. At normal temperatures it is more than safe. The concern occurs when you introduce heat. This is also where the debate starts in regards to safety. Many will say that it is perfectly safe at smoking temps and they are probably right. However, I am more concerned with the random chaos that is always a possibility. Lets say you get a big flare up or some hot coals fall down to the bottom and are sitting directly on this liner. This potentially could release unwanted fumes. Many will argue that there is no real threat until you reach excessive temps (similar to the galvanized argument). Personally, I choose not to risk it if I have the choice. As I said before, this is especially true if I was purchasing a product.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #32
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I spoke to Mr. Parker the man who sells the smoker and he reassured me that the liner was burnt out. I will double check again and post a pic. (I need to learn how t post pics on this site first) Has anyone here bought or has seen a smoker from White Arc Smokers?

On Ebay where he sells some of his drums it states:

"...Our smokers start life as a food grade barrel containing a corn syrup. We then burn it at a high temperature for several hours to clean everything out....

...The smoker then undergoes two coats of black high-temp paint. The smoker is ready to cook as soon as you get your hands on it...."

I checked it out again when I got home but to be honest what the hell do I know if there is a liner. Although I will say this, when I was smearing Crisco all over it, the bottom of the lip that folds in wasn't smooth as if a protective coating. But like I said what the hell do I know.

After my convo with Clint, reading the description on ebay and I emailed some buyers for their opinion I am confident that I do not need to worry too much. Perhaps I will do another burn when I have the time using a dozen or two logs I have for the fireplace just to be safe.

Last edited by gaspipe1; 06-13-2011 at 08:04 PM..
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #33
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

That sure looks like it has a liner in it! I would link to that photo but it's not working properly.
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post

I checked it out again when I got home but to be honest what the hell do I know if there is a liner. Although I will say this, when I was smearing Crisco all over it, the bottom of the lip that folds in wasn't smooth as if a protective coating. But like I said what the hell do I know.
Its pretty easy to tell. Either you have bare metal or you don't. In the picture where you were smearing crisco on the inside, do you see that red stuff. That is not bare, that is the liner. It scares me more that the seller is unaware of this issue. Either that or he just lied to you flat out.

I am not trying to beat you up on your purchase. I just want you to be aware of the potential issues since you did pay someone else for this product. Sure, you may use this for the rest of your life with no issues at all. Hell, there were plenty of happy Pinto, Explorer, Toyota drivers around the country that never had issues at all. Unfortunately there were a few that paid a horrible price.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #35
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

OK guys, I'm not here to argue with you. I was just wishful thinking I guess. So, I now have to burn her out... So just to make sure.. I'm thinking 20 or so logs with a burn time of 8 hours? Remove vent caps, ball valve, thermometer.. do i need to remove the bolts that hold the grates, what about the firebox? Do I need to grind her out too with an angle grinder (please say no).
Thanks again for looking after me and my family.... I'm soo pissed off right now with this guy.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #36
colonel00

Well, keep a couple things in mind. First, a big hot burn is most likely going to ruin the nice paint on the outside. Second, a good burn usually helps in removing the liner but usually you still need to get some of it out with a wire wheel which is a chore. In all you are setting yourself up for a bit of work.

Here is a link to some other threads that deal with liners.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/se...archid=1527482

Also, a simple, neat, and quick solution would be to have it sand blasted. People have found places that will do a drum anywhere from $20 to $50. This might be your best bet.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #37
Grumpy T
Got Wood.

you know the more i look at those pics... that just looks like surface rust after its been sitting for awhile bare. Look at the color its not uniform at all even under the crisco you can tell that. He also said its not smooth, I dont know about your guys experience but the liner in mine was very smooth
Grumpy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #38
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

GrumpyT, I spoke with another guy that bought a UDS from him and he said I assure you there was a liner. He burned it out then sanded it down, and then had to re-paint it. This sux and to be honest I'm pissed. If I had the time to do all that I would have just drilled the dam holes and made my own. I mean at this point I am doing the tough part. I'll post some more pics b4 I go and do it.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #39
strawboss38679
Knows what a fatty is.

See if you can find a barrel without a liner. Then you can use all the parts to construct it. Still sucks big time to pay for an item that is not what is advertised
strawboss38679 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #40
colonel00

I still say check for someone local that can sand blast it. For $50 or less you will be good to go quickly and painlessly. The only prep you have to do is to remove the bolts.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #41
Grumpy T
Got Wood.

I do see it now that i look closer at the pic with the tape measure you can see some grind marks through the liner near the top rim... well at least its not the red liner... Definitely check out getting it blasted, if it is reasonable save yourself the headache (literally)
Grumpy T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #42
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

Agree, that is a liner. i just picked up 4 food grade barrels that held cranberry juice concentrate and it had the liner. At first i thought, hmmm no liner thinking it would be plastic or something and that the inside was painted/powder coated red. then i read what colonel00 posted about it being a polymer,etc and saw pix online somewhere and realized i have the liner. My son in law sand blasted them out for me at the body shop he works at, cost me $55 for the material. well worth it, and it may save your having to repaint the outside if you go the burn it out way. Just my 2 cents. best of luck.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #43
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

What place of business would be able to do that? Like an auto body shop? I have a bunch of Indust places to go but I rather have an idea on who to call.. thanks again!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #44
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Update... Spoke to Mr. Parker, he told me that he would give me my money back. To be honest I felt too bad to do that to him. So I asked if he could just send me a new drum with lid that is totally burned out to bare metal. He said fine. I hope to God that he totally burns this out properly. Said he will have it shipped on Monday. I told him I will try and sell the other drum and paypal him the money for it.

Hope Mr. Parker doesn't take a dump in my new drum

Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
DC_BBQ
Got Wood.

Hi
I am expecting a UDS from the same company today. I’m hoping mine doesn’t have a liner still intact. But if they do I’ll be in same boat. I saw on the monster UDS thread that some folks have had success with using Easy Off.
But if that doesn’t work what kind of business would do sand blasting?
DC_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal starter, lump, new smoker, uds