My Yoder Smokers YS1500 has arrived! (Very picture heavy)

nucornhusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well, after “Operation Cooker Purge”, I have my two new cookers. The flagship cooker of which is the Yoder Smokers YS1500 pellet smoker/grill. I initially wanted a YS1320 when I bought my YS640 back in February, but it just didn’t work out. A few months ago Yoder discontinued the YS1320 in favor of the YS1500 which is the same cooker, just 6” longer. The 6” extra allowed for pans to fully fit inside the cooker (I hope to get a picture with pans inside soon). I had an “ah-ha” moment about a month ago that I could get the two cookers I ultimately wanted (YS1500 and BigJoe) if I sold all of the cookers I had, and set aside a little more cash. I realized one day that I used my YS640 and KJ 95% of the time, and most of the other cooks were with my Weber Smokey Joe’s if I was at work. So why not clear out some space and upgrade in the process. :noidea: I sold the cookers, and the orders went in. The both arrived on the same afternoon (some planning was involved for that) and I got straight to work on the YS1500.

First off, pictures do not do this cooker any justice. Way more impressive in person.

Ubiquitous FedEx truck shot.

On the pallet, still wrapped...this thing is HUGE!!

Unwrapped, on pallet

Everything is inside (pull handle, stainless shelf, therms, grates, pellets, HMS) and packed up awesome like last time

Here is a picture of the full bottom of the inside. The bottom has a seam or crease to help all of the grease and oil move to the middle of the tube then out the drain

The firepot. It is “sunk-in” to the bottom of the pit, not set atop the bottom of the pit like most if not all pellet pits. This helps to keep the fire further from the food and behave more like a stickburner.

Left side HMS installed with sliding heat damper connected to pull bar

HMS plate fully installed. The graduated holes allow heat and smoke to come up evenly left to right across the pit. How even you ask, that answer to come up shortly.

Bottom food grates washed, dried and installed

And now the top grate also

The cooker, man she is big and beautiful.

Do you see sweet blue from this pit? All day long, non stop TBS from a pellet pit. No intermittent puffs of white then heat vapor. Just sweet blue.

And now to test evenness and season up the pit. Over 4lbs of thick-cut, Hormel Black Label Bacon. Smoked at 225* for 3 hours. This is the before

And now with three hours in the pit, the after

And a plate full of evenly cooked bacon

As you can see, the bacon was completely dead azz even front to back, side to side. The only spot where the bacon was a little crisper, but not the least bit black or burned, was the very way left back slice. That was it. Otherwise, perfect bacon all of the way across. The bottom rack pieces were a little more crisp, and the top rack a little more chewy, which is to be expected. The bottom line is, this sucker is EVEN, and I am IMPRESSED. I can’t wait to do more.

I will be doing a good amount of cooking on the YS1500 this weekend, so I will be posting to and updating this thread throughout the weekend. I also plan to do a biscuit test also for evenness.

NOW I'm jealous. That thing is a beauty!
What does the sliding heat damper do? Just allow you to get hotter over on that side?

What's that 28 lb pail of kitty litter for?

:wacko:

:becky:

Sweet cooker!

I buy pellets in bulk from the factory, and I like to use different woods for different foods, so I got about 2 dozen frosting buckets from Sam's that they were just going to throw away and use them to store the pellets. It's much easier then messing with a ton of bags, and the stack very tight being square in shape.

NOW I'm jealous. That thing is a beauty!
What does the sliding heat damper do? Just allow you to get hotter over on that side?

Yes. It is the HMS system, identical to what is in their wood pits. With that closed this sucker is dead even side to side and front to back. As you slide it open it is direct access to the fire and allows for a hot spot on the left if/when you need it. The more you open it, the hotter the hot spot.

What else is nice with it is it allows heat and smoke to enter the cook chamber in the middle of the pit, rather than just at the edges and stack end like most other pellet pits. So it is a more even heat and smoke distribution.

Its not just 6" longer than the 1320, I believe its actually the same barrel size as the Kingman, not sure if its the same thickness. Good looking pit it I do say so, but then again I'm biased =)

Its not just 6" longer than the 1320, I believe its actually the same barrel size as the Kingman, not sure if its the same thickness. Good looking pit it I do say so, but then again I'm biased =)

The YS1500 is 42" long, the Kingman is 48". Also the YS1500 is 3/16" steel and the Kingman is 1/4", so they are a little different in those regards. But for all extensive purposes it is a Kingman with a pellet hopper instead of a firebox.

Back