My latest UDS w PRON

harripooner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine wanted a smoker after hearing about me and my roommates always smoking away, so I said I would make him one if he got the drums and paid me for parts. We talked to the local packaging shipping place and got them to heat treat and sandblast the drum, but without adding their rust preventative. So we got bare steel. I had him pick up a few extras while he was there, one for him, one for GTR, one for me, and an extra jsut in case.

PhotoJul0692252AM.jpg

Ended up sitting out a few nights so I had to grind them before paint. My finger was pretty damn numb for a few days.

PhotoJul0692322AM.jpg

Of course he wanted red. All I could find was header paint that went on super thin, but came out pretty good after a whole can was applied to one lid.

AlbertUDS.jpg

After bitching him out over the red paint I had him buy a weber cover to make sure it lasted. So the day after this picture I took the cover off to screw in the air inlets and it pulled all the nice red header paint off. Great. I ended up finding a paint company online who had the red krylon BBQ/stove paint but I had to order 6. Had to wire wheel the damn thing again and sand.

I made him a stencil using some left over silver BBQ paint and then had him pick her up

PhotoJul0692142AM.jpg

PhotoJul0692225AM.jpg

Went to his house on the 3rd and pretty much catered his block party. He wanted 6 butts on there, but I talked him down to 5 which was too much anyway. The analog guage read about 250 and the grill grate maverick was about 200. Actually i think this pic may be the stalled pork plateau. Def. too much meat,took quite a while to get up to temp. Butts on at 9:30pm and the first was off at noonish, the last at 3:30. Must have been close to 35-40lbs. 17.5 hrs on about a 3/4 basket (18' x 16").
PhotoJul06103837AM.jpg

PhotoJul0692202AM.jpg

I was pretty honored. He has a massive viking grill ine back yard, but was super excited over this. He wanted to move it out infront of his house for the block party, so we lugged it around. His friend was so into it, he asked me to build him one. After the fight this one gave me, I wasn't going to do it for parts money, but he was cool with the price and even offered to give me a bunch of casters on top of everything. So my extra drum came in handy. I think I may end up making enough money to fund my next UDS.

Last edited:
Yours turned out purty - definitely purtier than mine, what with the red paint & pig & all. Thanks for getting mine started (my son & I finished it on the 4th & we fired it up & cooked dinner). I think I'm gonna put a little sleeve in for probe wires like you did.

You seem to be getting addicted to building these things. :heh: I say go with it! :thumb:
Nice to meet another Brethren, btw.

Hey thank's guys. Pretty sure my landlord think I'm storing toxic waste in my backyard, but hey.

GTR here's the info on the temp probe deally's
Halex 1/2 clamp connector Home Depot 90661 $2.05ea
Halex 1/2"lock nut Home Depot 26190 bag of 6 $.73

I didn't need a lock but, mine just threaded in, but the two I've done have really fought and almost became stripped.

Funny note on the delicious pig candy you gave me. I gave some to my roommate and he was like holy crap this is amazing, when did you make this. Then i told him I didn't make it, i got it from some dude i met online in a BBQ forum. He looked at me like I was crazy then asked for another piece.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Good work, brother! Would be awesome if you could send one of those in the mail to me here in Taiwan...

Looks pretty darn good. I like the stencil.
One thing I noticed is bringing a question to mind. How many air intakes are there on the bottom? I only see the ball valve?

next time you need to spray paint, go to Home Depot and get a "pistol grip" for your spray paint cans. Using this will give better control, it will also stop that numbing of the index finger. I think the pistol grip is around two dollars.

Looks pretty darn good. I like the stencil.
One thing I noticed is bringing a question to mind. How many air intakes are there on the bottom? I only see the ball valve?

next time you need to spray paint, go to Home Depot and get a "pistol grip" for your spray paint cans. Using this will give better control, it will also stop that numbing of the index finger. I think the pistol grip is around two dollars.

Yeah the pistol grip would have been clutch, definitley getting one before my next build. There are two intakes and the ball valve. i think the photo angle must have just cut them off.

Ya gotta love cookinng in a drum! Trash cans rule!

Back