Cooking for the homeless

smokeydog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Once a month I haul the Lang 48 down to my church (1st United Methodist of Pensacola). I cook 50 pounds of chicken quarters that is used to feed the homeless/hungry in the downtown area. It takes me from around 6 til 10:30. Recently I added a Weber 22 to the front of the Lang which gave me room for the additional 10 pounds. I've been doing this pretty much monthly since I bought the Lang last summer. I hope this post will encourage others to look at a new way to use this as an outreach. Our church feeds about 90-100 twice weekly, Mondays and Thursdays. We feed a full meal, meat two sides bread desert drink. We use china plates and give a go bag of water canned meat and crackers. No strings just show up. If you enjoy BBQing this will let you enjoy cooking in a new light. Rusty
P8180010.jpg

[/FONT]

Hi Rusty,
I led my church's homeless program for two years. You have my full support and prayers for your ministry!
May the Good Lord keep blessing ya!

Brian

That is an awesome deed you are doing Rusty and a nice setup too :clap2:

Your kindness and charity is cherished. You are an example to all. :clap2::clap2::clap2:(standing O.)

Thanks for all the kind words. My post is an effort to get others thinking what they could do. Ever where we look we see needs, some worse than others. What I do isn't squat compared to the group that does the feeding, prepares all the sides, and cleans up. All I'd like to do is plant a seed among other Brethren. Thanks to everyone.

The true worth of a person is reflected in what they do for others.

That looks like a good thing to do to me! We do an annual event, with the help of several brethren, at my church... In fact, I'm already planning next year's event!

Back