• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Yorkers "Pizza Pie"

Q

Que-Dawg

You New Yorkers… the Ol’ lady LOVES NY style pizza… my pies are getting better on the BGE… but I am not understanding her on how to do a true NY style pies?

Phil nailed it...

To me.. a NY pie is all about the crust....well done/crispy .. but the key is that it's got to be thin. I've never made my own dough, but I've sampled enough from various bakeries and Italian markets to know that quality can vary.. However if you make the dough thin enough, even a sub-par dough becomes an almost non-issue.

The toppings are the easy and fun part.. More often that not, I prefer to keep it simple which is just a simple homemade sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, oregano & olive oil.

I don't know much about NY, but I have been getting a very thin Papa Muprhys crust lately, with only olive oil and garlic on it and adding my own toppings, on the Primo and delicious. If you have one near you..450* for 12 mins.

As we say here, "If you cannot read the NY times through the crust its too thick"

San marzano plum tomatoes, fresh garlic and fresh Buffalo mozzarella with whole leaves of basil drizzled with good olive oil will send your bride to the moon.

stretch that crust till its thined out so when u pick up a slice, it flops.

cook it at 600-700 degrees so the crust is crispy but light and use good quality mozerella..

Heres the way one of the best pizzas in NY is made.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2008/03/secrets-of-di-f.html

OK bro… we are thinking about a family vacation to NY… the top 3 are 1. NY 2. Hilton Head 3. Destin… If by chance the Ol’ lady and kids pick NY can you point me in the right direction… rooms, sights, restraints, WE REALLY want a NY deli that is old school… if we do not do it this spring it will be next winter (I think winter would be the Best…. Myself… NY has the BIGGEST X-MAS TREE)

Here is one of the key steps -

di_fara_4.jpg

Step 2: He flours a pizza peel and lays out the dough on it.

no self-respecting NY pizza-maker would ever use cornmeal to keep his pizza from sticking. So don't let anybody tell you that cornmeal is acceptable; it's not.

stretch that crust till its thined out so when u pick up a slice, it flops.

cook it at 600-700 degrees so the crust is crispy but light and use good quality mozerella..

Heres the way one of the best pizzas in NY is made.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2008/03/secrets-of-di-f.html

you're supposed to put the basil on after baking?! dough! i mean do'oh! i did not know that.

so this flop you mention. i have seen that mentioned before. is there a way to describe it because that is one of my goals with the dough. i think i've done it a few times, but it seems inconsistent.

ignore my head in this photo, but this crust wast actually crispy on the bottom, but just the weight of the sauce and mozzarella made it bend right after the support of my hand

pizzamarinara-016.jpg

the pizza i made last week had a stiffer, even crispier crust and it did not bend, but i actually liked it better

sproutedwheatdoughpizza-020.gif

last nights pizza was more like the bendy version :biggrin:

i've been using just the fresh mozzarella made right in the market, but i'm going to try the cheese mixture in the link...

alot of times the pizza out of ny is different because of the water. try to get a double proof out of the dough. let it rise, punch it down and let it rise again. try to use it after a few days letting it proof in the refridgerator but keep it oily so it won't crust over. if you have hard water use more yeast and sugar.

thats close to the flop.. but still to thick. It should flop, loosly, almost like the wind can blow it around and in that that spot where your holding your fingers?? is still firm in your picture..A NY slice, in order to keep it from folding over your fingers, you have to kinda crease the slice, but it still flops once it passes your fingers.

looks like Im going to get a pie for lunch to take some pictures. :)

MMM.. brisket and pizza for lunch.. that will be different.

sorry to force you to eat pizza! :biggrin:

i think i know what you mean with the crease. i think the size of the slices might be an important piece of this pizza puzzle

Like Rookiedad said above, its the water. Pizza and bagels out of NYC, remind you that you are not in NYC. I used to work in Canarsie, Brooklyn and frequented a pizza shop there for lunch. The owners cousin owned a pizza shop in Georgia, he told me he would ship a container truck with NYC water for his pies once a week.

Now, NYC Deli, go to KATZ Delicatessen on Houston Street in the lower east side. In the city you will pronounce it HOUSE-ton by the way.

That is a great link !! Thanks !!

Lots of good info in there.. gonna take some time later to read a bit more closely. Best part I took away so far was to try the uncooked sauce. Usually I use my leftover cooked sauce.

Hav - Which pizza place in Canarsie ? I grew up there. Maybe it's me but it seems that the process of many small businesses trucking down NY water to shops in FL, GA, NC etc. is growing.. I don't know if it's really true for all of them or just a gimmick that people tell.

I love pizza !!

Hav - Which pizza place in Canarsie ? I grew up there. Maybe it's me but it seems that the process of many small businesses trucking down NY water to shops in FL, GA, NC etc. is growing.. I don't know if it's really true for all of them or just a gimmick that people tell.

I love pizza !!

On Rockaway Pkwy between Glenwood and Conklin across from Citibank if memory serves....

My favorite pizza in NYC, (I know, I know, a debate than can go on forever) has to be Rosa's in Maspeth on 69th. The upside down red Sicilian pie, they pre-bake a crust in the pan with olive oil, then add the cheese, let it rest for a bit then add the sauce with a light crust of grated hard cheese (like Pecorino Romano I think)!

It kicks butt baby!

Currently in Flushing, I usually get a large pie with pepperoni and red peppers from Pizzarama on Francis Lewis Blvd. Oily pizza (usually means cheap cheese) but good crust and sauce.

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread...gotta' pick up a slice today.

Back