BBQ for 175 Homeless

F

fevoice

Doing a lunch for 175 Homeless folks at a shelter in Denver.

A sight I found came up with the following numbers. What do you think?

Menu is Pulled Pork Sammies, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw.

Thinking the folowing:
90lbs Pork Butt (pre-cooked)
34 lbs Cole Slaw
81 quarts Baked Beans
2-3 gallons BBQ Sauce
Plus buns

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank Eriksen

Frank - Those numbers are pretty close. How much loss do you calculate in your pork? Reason why I ask is that I calc about 45%. With that, I figured about 72# of raw for 4 oz sammies or about 108# for 6 oz sammies.

Good job in helping the needy.

I am coming up with 180 1/4 sammies. You might want to bump it up a bit based on having one meat.

Bubba will be here soon and set you straight :biggrin:

I am coming up with 125lbs precooked pork. If you are only giving 1 sammich per person. We usally have them comeback for seconds and thirds. In fact they normally skip the bun by sammich three. If there are any left overs the homeless center use it for walkins the next day.

Rule number one
NEVER RUN OUT OF MEAT
We always cook too much

If you are set with 1 sandwich per person, go at least 1/3 lb PP.

175 / .333 = 57.75 x 2 = 115 lbs of uncooked butts. :cool:

Double check your beans, for the life of me am having a hard time converting quarts. :roll:

On edit, bad math.

Last edited:
The other thing I have to ask is.... Are you serving or dropping and running? Most volunteers I have worked with have trouble with portion control. No meanness heart is in the right place but they either give to much or not enough.

You will probably have more than 175. I found that a lot of them will stash a plate somewhere and come back through line a couple of times. Then you have claim agants that claim they are taking one to someone else. It's always fun do do the gig.

BBQ for 175

Many thanks guys. Lot's of good info. For this event it's a one time through the line thing. I too would rather have too much food than not enough. Although, the folks at the shelter claim that they usually don't get 175. More like 150. But who knows, if word gets out that it's BBQ - we could have a stampede. I'm sure they're used to getting bologna and cheese sandwiches. Or chicken soup.

I think I'll go with 105 pounds, just for yucks and leave the leftovers for latecomers or the next days lunch. I'll recheck the bean totals. I'm thinking 3-4 people per quart.

We are bringing the food and helping the staff at the shelter to serve. Obviously pre-cooking everything and reheating at the shelters kitchen which, they say, has 3 huge ovens.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Doing a lunch for 175 Homeless folks at a shelter in Denver.

A sight I found came up with the following numbers. What do you think?

Menu is Pulled Pork Sammies, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw.

Here's a link to my planner, free to download free to use, http://www.bbq-review.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

175 x .33 = 58.275 lbs cooked meat / 116.55 lbs uncooked meat. (16 x 7.5 lb butts)
175 x .25 = 43.75 lb beans = 6 x #10 cans
175 x .16 = 29.05 lb slaw

Back