MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Default Has anyone tried this stuff?

Sorry, but I couldn't get the picture to show. However, just Google Kingsgrill and check out the pictures.

Check this out! Cooool……

Charcoal of the Future?
Ever since Henry Ford and his brother-in-law fired up briquettes of sawdust, charcoal has been produced from industrial waste. Whether dust from the saw mills or scraps from furniture factories, we have relied on someone to turn this useless leftover wood into fuel for our grills and smokers. Now there comes a different kind of charcoal made from the husks and shells of coconuts. Technically referred to as extruded coconut charcoal, this material can be formed into virtually any shape to serve most any purpose from charcoal logs to briquettes for cooking. Coconut charcoal burns hot and clean, imparts a mild flavor, and produces a mild, sweet, but unique smoke. Coconut charcoal is huge in Asia where it is produced and is making its way into Europe and North America
An excellent example of this type of charcoal is Kingsgrill charcoal briquettes. These square briquettes are designed to burn evenly and efficiently and are self starting. Now I know that I have said that self starting charcoal is bad, but this “quik lite” doesn’t use petroleum chemicals to get is going. Instead each, dual layer briquette is infused with an all natural, organic lighting substance. You can literally place a match (wooden) on top of one of these briquettes and get it burning quickly. In fact these are ready to go in about two minutes. The lighting is actually pretty fun because these have almost a fireworks level of combustion when they first start out, cracking and popping (and producing a good amount of smoke) to get going. Once burning these briquettes glow orange and put out a substantial amount of heat. With a burn time around an hour and a half, these are not the sort of charcoal you would want to use for smoking, but these are excellent for grilling. If you see a box of this charcoal I encourage you to pick it up. Not readily available right now, but I predict you will be seeing a lot of coconut charcoal in the near future.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Looks alot like the PureFire Charcoal--

Kingsgrill:

PureFire:

Honestly, I never heard too much good about the PureFire. Never used it myself, though....

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Dovid
On the road to being a farker

Looks like it should be imprinted with "This Side Up"! lol
I have heard mention about coconut charcoal in a few different places. Anyone tried it, in any shape or form?
Dovid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Naked wiz did some write ups about this type of coal if I rember corectly hard as hell to light little ash burns hot last long kinda like lavitra for the pit
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you using them in the BGE? They look a lot like the Kamado extruded coconut fiber briqs. I hope they will become readily available without buying a pallet!

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What the hell is wrong with good ol' lump, wood, and K? Designer charcoal...not impressed. my .02

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote