MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Default It's not about Me. but We

I logged on to this site a few years ago and there was one founding father that told the moderators that I was only there to peddle my products and that I wouldn't be here for long. He did not like me and made it very clear. He showed up to a contest and I came over to meet him. We shook hands and sat down and talked BBQ for about an hour. He came back to the moderators and told them that he had miss judged me and I was a good guy. This fellow was KCQer who passed away a couple of years ago. Long story short. I never came to this site to sell my product. As a matter of fact, I avoid talking about my products because I come here to relax and talk about great BBQ. If anyone asks on this site about any of my products, you will notice that I do not respond. Yes, I am in Brethren Ventures only because Phil said I should be there. He will tell you that I said No Thanks, but he is persistant. To the point. FROM THE BACKYARD TO THE AMERICAN ROYAL sums it all up. I have seen so many Brethren come up through the ranks and it makes me proud that they got to where they are now by the shareing of information that they gleened from this site. Case in point. Big Mista was not comfortable with cooking a brisket for the first time. He was recently on TV with Pittmasters. Plowboys winning the American Royal, Smoke on Wheels with their multiple GC's. The list goes on and on. For a web site that was started by a few backyarders that has now grown into the thousands is in itself incredible . This is the only site that I have found that shares information about BBQ freely without holding back. Thus I say. "It's not about Me, it's about WE. Go to a contest now a days and see how many teams are flying the Brethren colors. you will be amazed. Our team has taken many Brethren under ourwings to get them to compition them and we are life long friends when they take thier first ever walk . Most all of the Old SchoolBBQ winners will tell you that it is all about you and what you can give back the sport. My view is that you neeto go out and energize the new teamsand them on board

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thank you BBQ community.
I'm not even from here and I am slowly finding my feet BBQing the 'Merican way purely through the generosity of people on this site.
This is my home, I am happier here than I have been on any Aussie site.
There.
I said it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
landarc

I am always impressed with the folks on this board, not just the winning competitors, but, all of the great cooks.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
bigabyte

I concur.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Awesome place! I say it time and time again!

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

This place is like no other on the web!
Free flowing information, hints, tips, and support around a common interest!
Flame wars are extremely rare and short lived. Try finding a website with fewer, bet you can't !

It is a community that plays well and shares well together. You would think that with so many that compete with each other, it would be more contentious, yet surprisingly it is not.

This place is littered with "masters of the art" passing their knowledge on to those that will be, and educating those that are strictly backyard enthusiast along the way. The WE here is amazing! Look through the forums at the " first cook" questions, tally up how many award winning cooks post a reply..... Then add in the number of responses from those with yeas of experience, many of the newer Breatheren don't realize the level of responses they are getting here! It's not like the vast majority of forums on the web where the noobs are leading the noobs, and answers are just a guess.

But I do have to disagree with you spicewine, it is about you! You and those like you that have made, and continue to make this place, a communal meeting place where BBQ draws us here and the Breatheren keep us coming back!

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Well said!
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
phil c
Full Fledged Farker

I have learned alot here. Even met a couple folks. It's all good!
phil c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I am always impressed with the folks on this board, not just the winning competitors, but, all of the great cooks.
YES! YES! YES! This is the only sight I look at am and pm 365 since I joined.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A bunch of easy going farkers go together like meat and fire! A sincere "Thank You" to all the guys and gals who make this such a great place to hang out for SO many reasons!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

The four Fs:

Family,
Friends,
Fire and
Food.

That's what this place is all about.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
chad

Sniff! Man HUG!!
Joking aside: what you rather eloquently explained was a goal from the very beginning. Congrats on your team and sauce results.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
aawa
Babbling Farker

I am new to Qing and i lurked these boards for a few months before I decided on a "starter smoker" What I have found on this forum is the most friendly, and helpful community that I have been part of.

This community is not about trying to make oneself look better, but help everybody with making good food.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

This is easily the most helpful site on the net. It's also the only BB I've ever contributed to. The accessibility and quality of people here is amazing. Thanks Brethren!
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
lashing1c
On the road to being a farker

I got on this site 6 months ago in an effort to built my first UDS. I spent the better part of 2 weeks reading the UDS thread. That alone says something about this place. Where.....in any forum would you find a thread that is 10,000 plus posts long. Since then I have researched the following items on this site: Controling A fire in UDS, Fattie(Had no idea what it was), ABT's, Smoked Fish, Pork Butt, Chicken Thighs(Made about 150 of them this year), Stuffed Pork Loin, Brisket, Whole Turkey's, Turkey Legs, Standing Rib Roast(I have a whole New York Strip I need to smoke), and most recent Pork Belly.

I have probably used my UDS about 15-20 times since April 30, 2012. Most cooks have turned out good to great. Turkey Drumsticks I sucked at.

Thank you to the developers of this site. You have braught me some great pleasure. I think my friends that get eat the Que might thank you the most.
lashing1c is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->