MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default "Traditional" Thanksgiving... tandoor pron!!

Howdy Brethren.

Had a houseful of folks visiting for the T-Day weekend and had a blast. Here is some pr0n from the day we fired up the tandoor for saunfiya murg tikka (aniseed marinated chicken tikka) and a lamb dum pukht biryani made from scratch. It all came out great. Usually we make naans on the sides of the hot tandoor, but we were a bit lazy this time and skipped the naans. The tandoor takes a couple of hours to heat up, but the grub cooks quick. Biryani pics will come in a second post.

Pic 1 firing up the tandoor

Pic 2 heating up the tandoor

Pic 3 groceries loaded

Pic 4 cooking away at 600°F

Pic 5 20mins later... done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tandoor 5.jpg (59.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg tandoor 4.jpg (73.7 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg tandoor 2.jpg (67.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg tandoor 3.jpg (61.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg tandoor 1.jpg (82.3 KB, 211 views)
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Biryani pron

Pic 1 frying up some onions in ghee

Pic 2 The marinade - yogurt, mint, onions, cilantro, thai chillies, pepper, mace, coriander, cumin, cloves, salt, turmeric, and green cardamom

Pic 3 All blended up

Pic 4 Lamb in the marinade

Pic 5 Cooking up the lamb and marinade mixture

Pic 6 Assembling the rice, meat mix, saffron, black cardamom, and fried onions

Pic 7 Sealing up the pot with dough (dum pukht method)

Pic 8 The pot after cooking in the oven for 1 hr @ 350°F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biryani 7.jpg (63.3 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg biryani 8.jpg (103.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg biryani 6.jpg (84.2 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg biryani 4.jpg (90.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg biryani 5.jpg (89.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg biryani 2.jpg (74.7 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg biryani 3.jpg (63.2 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg biryani 1.jpg (96.5 KB, 210 views)
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice job!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Caliking, that is OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!

I LOVE that kind of cooking!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thought some of you guys might get a kick out of it!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
10_Bears
On the road to being a farker

Man that makes me hungry, and I only just finished breakfast.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow that is awesome. Finally get to see th UDT in action!!!

I have a tandoor question. On the skewers, what keeps the meat from sliding down? I picture whole chickens just sliding down to the bottom.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Cap: was wondering where you were hiding

If you look at the skewers, there is a big hunk of potato at the end. Slide em on raw (yukon gold). They actually taste awesome when the chicken gets coooked because of the juices that drip onto them. They are cooked by the time the chicken is cooked. Sort of an insurance policy to make sure that things stay put on the skewers.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh cool, that makes sense.

I was thinking of grinding in barbs on my skewers, then putting removable wood handles so I could slide the meat back off.

I love the rice pot with the dough seal.

A change of subject but I am looking around for one of those Indian pressure cookers now. The one with the shelves that layer in to cook multiple items. They are awesome.

You have to see the hand hammered karahis I found. They are on my Xmas list. This coming spring I want to have a real outdoor Indian Kitchen set up.

Sorry, may be another thread.

Thanks for the post. LOVE IT!

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

That looks awesome - thanks for sharing. Would love to see some pics of Tandoori Chicken sometime...
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Looks great!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capozzoli View Post
Oh cool, that makes sense.

I was thinking of grinding in barbs on my skewers, then putting removable wood handles so I could slide the meat back off.

I love the rice pot with the dough seal.

A change of subject but I am looking around for one of those Indian pressure cookers now. The one with the shelves that layer in to cook multiple items. They are awesome.

You have to see the hand hammered karahis I found. They are on my Xmas list. This coming spring I want to have a real outdoor Indian Kitchen set up.

Sorry, may be another thread.

Thanks for the post. LOVE IT!
Those sound like some pretty fancu seekhs you have planned. Wish I had those tools and skills.

The standard Indian household pressure cooker brands are Hawkins and Prestige. They are indestructible.