MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Default Amount of servings per 1/2 pan

Just curious for sides like mac & cheese... How many servings do you guys get out of a 1/2 or full pan?

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

As usual - the key to answering this question depends not on the size of the pan but on the size of your portion & how full the tray is0.

We use 1/2 trays at the Hut filled about 3/4 & usually get around 10 - 12 small servings served in 8oz deli containers. Not precisely 8oz each but pretty damn close.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Standard half pans yield about 25 servings...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post
Just curious for sides like mac & cheese... How many servings do you guys get out of a 1/2 or full pan?

Cheers
Half pans can come in various sizes, I have 2.5", 4", and 6" deep in standard stainless steam table pans, foil pans sizes also vary.

Your best bet is to buy an electronic scale and weigh out what you think is a reasonable portion (applies to any food item). Once you have the portion amount you can easily estimate any needed amount if you know how many servings are requested/required.

You will find that different foods may yield different portion sizes and weights and these will in turn vary with the likes and dislikes of individuals in attendance.

Also the amount of available selections (multiple sides) will also create variances.

Keep track and make a spread sheet to calculate amounts for future events. Just plug in the number needed and your spreadsheet will calculate the total amount needed.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Jeff - are you willing to back your statement up with a "It's 25 servings or you can kick me in the sack" guarantee?

Sorry - but YOU might get 25 servings but that COMPLETELY depends on the size of the serving & how full the tray is. As I am guessing Phrasty is asking in relation to working out quantities for a commercial gig - it is not as simple as saying "25" or "10" or "1000". Without knowing how large the serving size & how full the tray (a 1/2 1/2 tray will serve less than a 3/4 1/2 tray or a full 1/2 tray) the question needs to be answered as "I use a (insert ounces) serving from a (insert how full the tray) that is (insert how deep the 1/2 tray)" Anything else risks giving advice that will ultimately screw the estimate for the OPer.

So - to correct my answer:

We use an 8oz serving from a mostly full 1/2 tray that is 2 1/2 inches deep and get 10 - 12 servings.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

We typically use the 1/2 size steam table pans from Sam's. They hold 1 gallon when level full. I tested that theory with a gallon jug when I first started out so that I could do the math properly. There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon. If you start with a full pan and do 4oz servings you will get 32. If you start 3/4 full and do 8oz servings you will get 12. For planning purposes I go with a 1/2 pan per 25 people. Some take more than 4 oz and some take none at all when going through the line so it averages out. That rule of thumb has worked out well for me.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachahut View Post
Hey Jeff - are you willing to back your statement up with a "It's 25 servings or you can kick me in the sack" guarantee?

We use an 8oz serving from a mostly full 1/2 tray that is 2 1/2 inches deep and get 10 - 12 servings.
I'll serve 25 out of a half pan all day long.

8 oz sides seem awfully generous.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
big brother smoke

BBS supports^^^^statement!