MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Default Grate Clean Up

I know this thread has been done before, but I'm still not getting it. I bought a used WSM. The grates need cleaning. I put them in a trashbag with some water and a whole lot of oven cleaner. How long do I leave them in the bag? It's been 2 hours and it's not looking any better. Thanks
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

burn them off
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contracted Cookers View Post
burn them off
Yeah that's what I'm going to try tomorrow. The oven cleaner trick only made a slight change. If after the burn it does not come off, new grates it is.
A bunch of Webers

Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Smoothsmoke, I don't know how bad they are, but I can tell ya that I don't require my grates to be perfectly clean. (You should've seen how bad the grates looked on the big smoker that my cousing and I used at the reunion, and the smoked chicken turned out INCREDIBLE!) Anyway, I kind of treat them like my kettle grates. If there's a lot of stuff left on the grate after a cook, I'll remove the pan, then put them back on and let the fire burn the crud just a bit while I hit 'em with the brush. I like to leave a little bit of grease on the grate and find it helps protect against grease.

I will tell ya that from what I understand, burning the crud off with a torch will eventually take the nickel off the grate, letting it rust much faster.

As to what cleansers and how to use, I don't have a clue. The only part of my wsm I'm really concerned about is the inside of the dome.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Stig
Knows what a fatty is.

Why the water? Oven cleaner straight up IMO. Oxyclean is pretty good too.
Weber 22 OTG
Weber 18 Smokey Joe
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I agree about my grates not needing to be super clean. It's just that I dont know where these grates been before. Not sure why I added water. Maybe I'll do it again with oven cleaner alone.
A bunch of Webers

Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Put about 2 cups of ammonia in a black trash bag and tape it shut. Lay the bag in the sun for the day, then use a brillo pad to scrub it clean. I haven't cleaned any this way in a very long time but it worked. I just use a grill brush and get the worst off now.
Edit: look up cleaning grates with ammonia.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

The water has probably diluted the cleaner. I leave em overnight with straight oven cleaner(be careful with the fumes and do this oustside and not in the garage either, don't ask how I know). The crud softens and will come off with the hose and a pressure nozzle or even a stiff bristled brush. The staining that's on the grates never really comes off though. If you have a big enough container, soak em in water for a day or so.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Oven cleaner in a blck trash bag (I put about 6 layers of newspaper on the bottom and top of the grate) in the hot sun for all day. Then hose and scrape with a wire brush. Yucky but it works. Otherwise HOTSY!
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I put them in a trash bag sprayed down with a lot of oven cleaner. I'll check up in the morning. Then I'll rinse then start a hot fire on the kettle. And if that hot fire doesnt get most of the gunk off, new grates it will be. Thanks everyone.
A bunch of Webers

Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

??????????
What is this "grate cleaning" you speak of?

Fill the charcoal pan with charcoal, get it red hot, put a grate on top of charcoal pan, let the grate get hot, then spritz with a water bottle (like de-glazing a pan)
It will get rid of anything objectionable and leave the stuff you want to leave.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

+1 for ammonia, it works wonders, no water, that, or fill your OTS with a good load of charcoal, and put all the grates in there and burn them all off.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Don't forget your local car wash (not the drive-thru kind). For years I've cleaned grates there. For a buck or two I can get 'em nice and clean, rinse 'em and not have a mess in my yard or driveway. Once they're dry, I spray 'em with a little Pam and we're all set for the next cook.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I do it with the oven cleaner overnight (I use a big plastic tote but the plastic bag works) then take them to the self serve car wash and blast them good. They always come out looking new...just make sure to rinse them with a hose when you get back home since most of the washes use reclaimed water. Spray em with pam and start cooking.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

What are WSM grates made of?
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote