Prime rib: Finish with sear, or no sear?

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I’ve never cooked prime rib. Never had any I like anywhere near as much as a ribeye steak, but going to give it a go this year.

Our own Baby Back Maniac put out a great video. No sear. just took to it 130* on low-ish heat. Looked good.

Others sear as a final step to get the crust. Looks good, too. What do you say? Direct high heat to finish, or no?

I think it depends what temperature you are cooking at. If you are cooking it at a higher temp then searing at the end won't be needed and you will already have the crust. If cooking low then yea sear at the end. I normally cook prime ribs roasts hotter. I like them more with the bulls eye middle then i do red from edge to edge. I find the fat breaks down better and makes it much more enjoyable. You can still pull with the middle being rare/med rare.

I think it depends what temperature you are cooking at. If you are cooking it at a higher temp then searing at the end won't be needed and you will already have the crust. If cooking low then yea sear at the end. I normally cook prime ribs roasts hotter. I like them more with the bulls eye middle then i do red from edge to edge. I find the fat breaks down better and makes it much more enjoyable. You can still pull with the middle being rare/med rare.

So what is your grill temp?

I do the herb crusted prime rib recipe from TVWBB, so there is no need to sear as the herbs are all perfectly crispy when done. Searing would ruin that flavor. I cook it at 325-350°.

I do an indirect cook on the Egg and then about 20 min later a real hot sear I believe Ron_L has a really good post on this as does Gore

So what is your grill temp?

325-350. If you aren't happy with the crust towards the end of cook open the vents wide open and get it hotter for the last 10-15mins. Keeping it indirect though. I agree with the above post that direct searing usually wrecks the herb crust and most recipes have herbs. You could also pull a few degrees from desired temp get grill screaming hot and then put on for another few minutes. My experience is that indirect searing with prime rib works the best

Spot on. BBM did his at 300ish which will naturally develop a crust. I prefer the consistent edge to edge color, so I do mine at 250 or lower. To develop a crust and keep that edge to edge color, pull the PR and let it sit for a bit, then throw it into a high heat enviroment for a few minutes. Either an smoker, oven, grill or hot pan.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

325-350. If you aren't happy with the crust towards the end of cook open the vents wide open and get it hotter for the last 10-15mins. Keeping it indirect though. I agree with the above post that direct searing usually wrecks the herb crust and most recipes have herbs. You could also pull a few degrees from desired temp get grill screaming hot and then put on for another few minutes. My experience is that indirect searing with prime rib works the best

This seems like a really good point. So, then I wonder how important herbs are for the prime rib rub...if we’re talking the benefit of herbs vs. the benefit of a great sear

I normally cook at a really low temp like 200 and reverse sear, but there has been a time or 2 I've looked at the roast when it was about done and decided it was good just like it was and didn't do the sear. So basically - yeah, reverse sear, but if it looks good, don't fix what ain't broke.

We like the crust on ours. I cook mine at a low temp on my UDS. I always sear at the end, but that means lighting my kettle, which normally isn't a problem, unless I get side tracked and forget to get it going in time...or I just get too lazy.

If I'm in a hurry, or just too lazy and the oven is in use with the myriad of sides/desserts, I just use my propane torch to crisp up the outside.

This seems like a really good point. So, then I wonder how important herbs are for the prime rib rub...if we’re talking the benefit of herbs vs. the benefit of a great sear

I never use herbs on mine. In fact, I absolutely hate when places use rosemary on their's as I'm just not partial to it at all. If I know they use it, I'll order a Ribeye instead.

My usual "rub" is simply to slather with olive oil and then coat heavily with Coarse ground pepper and Kosher Salt. Sometimes I'll add garlic and onion powder. If I'm feeling particularly froggy, I'll use Worchestershire Sauce for the slather instead of olive oil. Could even step that up and use the thick Worchestershire

I'm also in the "maybe" camp. It's such a large cut of meat that searing doesn't add too much to the party flavor-wise. However, depending on cook temp (smoking vs roasting) and seasonings, it could be necessary for presentation purposes.

If when I think it should be done it's just shy of the temp I want to pull it off at, I'll sear to speed things up. Otherwise, I don't.

I'm also in the "maybe" camp. It's such a large cut of meat that searing doesn't add too much to the party flavor-wise. However, depending on cook temp (smoking vs roasting) and seasonings, it could be necessary for presentation purposes.
I beg to differ. While each slice might only be 1/4 to 3 inches thick, you have to consider the overall circumference and the amount of flavor that the added crust adds in.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I run my smoker at 250-275 and prime rib seems to get a good crust on it without having finish with a sear at the end. I used carne crosta this year and it came out perfect.

Back