• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Homemade Hot Dogs and Breakfast Sausage

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Of all the sausage making I've done I still haven't made hot dogs :crazy:. So since the tiny human (not as tiny) has come to liking when we stop at the Costco food court and getting a hot dog I figured it was time to make my own :clap2:. As kids do, he has transitions from things he likes to not liking them so we are always trying new stuff.

He likes hot dogs so much that we have to only give him a little or else he doesn't eat much else on his plate. So then when he finishes the other things he gets more dog.

Anyways......also making a breakfast sausage I've made before since he like having some sausage for breakfast along with biscuits or pancakes we make.

As standard for a first batch for me I go big for a potential large disappointed :becky:. I'm doing a 15lb batch of hot dogs and then 5lbs of breakfast sausage. I have probably 30lbs of already cubed up pork in the fridge so will be using that for the hot dogs along with equal parts chuck roast for a 50/50 dog.

Not sure if I'm going the full emulsion route this time or running it through the grinder with the smallest plate 2-3times. Plan is to grind it all tonight, mix and then probably case tomorrow. Then I'll make some small uncased links for the breakfast sausage to cook in the oven and freeze. The hot dogs will get low heat smoke on Friday after being cased and air drying in the fridge for a day.
CoL6TPjl.jpg

sN7K3sfl.jpg

rB1uyoJl.jpg

Looking forward to watching this one.
Been making sausage, brats, snack sticks and jerky for a while and have been thinking about dogs and possibly bologna, if I can figure out how to case it.
Carry On!

Good luck! I am a fan of the multiple grind method. Make sure you keep that sh*t cold.

Are you using lamb casings for the dogs?

Last edited:
Hot dogs technically are an “emulsified forcemeat” that are ground fine and mixed in a Buffalo chopper with ice until emulsified. Same with Bologna.

How are you doing that at home???

Good luck! I am a fan of the multiple grind method. Make sure you keep that sh*t cold.

Are you using lamb casings for the dogs?

I'm going to most likely give that a whirl as we have a good food processor, but that might be a lot of batches to run through it when I do 15lbs. Might give it a triple grind.

And I have my #32 grinder parts in the freezer and meat starts partially frozen and will be adding ice as needed.

I'm going lazy and using normal hog casings so they will be big dogs, but I didn't feel like ordering lamb/sheep.

Hot dogs technically are an “emulsified forcemeat” that are ground fine and mixed in a Buffalo chopper with ice until emulsified. Same with Bologna.

How are you doing that at home???

Possibly a food processor, but might just do a multi-grind.

I was watching burgers brews and que (I think that’s the right name) and the chef made homemade bologna just using a food processor. He ground it up enough that it started to get the emulsified texture to it. He then stuck it in a pan and threw it in the smoker. I don’t even like bologna and I want to try it now.

And as usual, I’m jealous of your meat handling skills.

Back