MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #61
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

If I still had a bunch of kids and relatives who were into pizza, I'd bust out with one of these. The Blackstone IS a better pizza machine- but isn't it not being made anymore? Yep, you can do pizza on the kettle- firing up multiple chimneys of coal to do 1 or 2 pies- not. Love to have a wood fired oven- who wouldn't? Except for the expense and the fact that you have to fire the sucker up for about an hour so you can crank out a few 2 minute pies. Yep- you can use steels or stones and get an "ok" pizza out of your kitchen oven- after you heat up the house and let the stone/steel soak heat for 45 minutes plus. Dunno seems to me the FrankenWeber still has a place.

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #62
Jdawg
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So, pizza stone was placed on a pizza pan with holes in it which was on top of a rack. Both from Goodwill for a buck each, which held up the pizza stone. Fit nice in my gasser. I used (sorry guys, don't be mad...some "nice" frozen pizzas) to cook tonight. I used them as a trial run to see temps and for a trial run. The stone got up to about 500 degrees on my Weber with the bottom pizza pan over 650 degrees. After the bottom started to get crispy, I dropped the heat to brown up the top more. Turned out a pretty good pizza - all things considered. I took a picture of the pizza, except that I have like an iPhone 1 (not really, but almost!) and the picture does not do it justice.

Btw, if anyone wants a infrared thermometer - keep an out at HF I bought on a super sale for like $5 regular price $30ish, cool toy to have!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2165.jpg (55.8 KB, 88 views)
Jdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #63
Jdawg

Oh Nuco, I love your quote, I personally started with half of nothing and have about twice that left, lol.

Last edited by Jdawg; 12-04-2018 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #64
JasonS
On the road to being a farker

I picked up a used weber rotisserie ring for $20 and modified it to work exactly like the Kettle Pizza. I used a 1/4" x 16" diameter piece of steel ( $18 ) to use as my stone. 55gal drum lid (free) for the ceiling. Once you figure out the fire, you can easily cook several pies on one load of fuel.

I'd say fire management is the most challenging part of the whole process, no matter what cooker/method you use. Well, handling the dough can prove to be challenging too lol...
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #65
Jdawg

Jason - I like it!

Question for you guys, based on Jason's build, what if you took a 22" Kettle and placed a 55 gallon drum lid on top without the rotisserie insert? There would be be about 2" on clearance - would that be enough distance if you weren't doing a deep dish? I'm wondering if there would be enough oxygen flow over the top?

I'm wondering if you could run gas underneath with the setup discussed above?

Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 AM   #66
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
If I still had a bunch of kids and relatives who were into pizza, I'd bust out with one of these. The Blackstone IS a better pizza machine- but isn't it not being made anymore? Yep, you can do pizza on the kettle- firing up multiple chimneys of coal to do 1 or 2 pies- not. Love to have a wood fired oven- who wouldn't? Except for the expense and the fact that you have to fire the sucker up for about an hour so you can crank out a few 2 minute pies. Yep- you can use steels or stones and get an "ok" pizza out of your kitchen oven- after you heat up the house and let the stone/steel soak heat for 45 minutes plus. Dunno seems to me the FrankenWeber still has a place.

Unfortunately, the Blackstone Pizza oven is now discontinued. I've been in touch with the manufacturer, and they are coming out with a new and improved version sometime next year.

As to the Frankenweber, if there were no Blackstone Pizza oven, I'd still probably be using it. The only drawback is like with a wood fired oven, you have to do several rotations of the pie so it cooks evenly, but with the Frankenweber, you will need to lift the kettle lid multiple times to do so, which causes massive heat loss to the cooker.

Also, to the OP, the opening in the front of the lid on the kettle is for venting purposes ONLY. You cannot fit a decent size pizza through that vent, and it wasn't designed as such. Please read my original post on this so you understand exactly what I'm saying.

That said, I'm wondering if there's a hybrid solution using the best of both worlds, i.e. Frankenweber + Kettle Pizza sleeve? All you would need is a basic Kettle pizza sleeve, plus a D-shaped stone and follow my instructions on the construction of the Frankenweber cooker.

Of course, this is all theory at this point, but it does seem possible...
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #67
Jdawg

Moose - the largest pizza pan that I was able to find to mount in the Kettle lid was 16" at Walmart. Would that be too high up in the dome? In your instructions you listed using at 18". If the larger size is needed would probably need to order from Amazon.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #68
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
Moose - the largest pizza pan that I was able to find to mount in the Kettle lid was 16" at Walmart. Would that be too high up in the dome? In your instructions you listed using at 18". If the larger size is needed would probably need to order from Amazon.

I would stick with the 18 inch for sure. If you go with the 16 inch, less heat will flow over the top of the pie as there will be more room from the ceiling to the top of the pie.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #69
Jdawg

That's makes sense - with that being said, I know you retired your frankenweber, but about how much distance was there between the TOP of your front vent to the bottom of the 18 inch pizza pan attached to the lid? I'm thinking maybe only a couple inches? Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #70
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Being just me and with wife and grown kids who are trying to "be good" with low carbs- I have NO use for a pizza cooker.

But GOD- I love to tinker and this has my head spinning with how to go about it.

Why not have a larger opening consisting of a flap door wide enough to spin the pizza but having a slot sized to channel the hot air across the top of the pie? Taking the lid off multiple times to spin would suck even if you did not lose heat.

Maybe leave the slot the same size and have the pizza stone on a lazy susan so you could spin the stone with a tool thru the slot?

No- I do not need a pizza cooker- but...

Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #71
dadsr4

Here's another Weber mod.

http://webercam.com/2009/06/weber-ke...ome-pizza.html

Old 12-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #72
Jdawg

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts.

Dadsr4 - that was an interesting read, good thing about that build is you don't have to do any cutting in the bottom of the kettle, but it would burn a ton of charcoal. I don't mind burning some coals since I stock up on blue bag when it goes BOGO. I feel like you would only have a limited amount of time before the coals cool off and then you probably would have to dump more hot ones on to keep the temps up.

I still am thinking about figuring out a way to put some smoke flavor while using gas. I need to build it and then do the fun part - experiment!

Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #73
Jdawg

Also, I have been thinking about what else could be cooked in the frankenweber. Obviously, bread, pies, etc would probably turn out nice on top of the pizza stone. Has anyone tried chicken wings? I was thinking you could could smoke some on another rig and then throw on the hot pizza stone to crisp up the skin. Anyone try this? Or, have any other cooks to share?

Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #74
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts.

Dadsr4 - that was an interesting read, good thing about that build is you don't have to do any cutting in the bottom of the kettle, but it would burn a ton of charcoal. I don't mind burning some coals since I stock up on blue bag when it goes BOGO. I feel like you would only have a limited amount of time before the coals cool off and then you probably would have to dump more hot ones on to keep the temps up.

I still am thinking about figuring out a way to put some smoke flavor while using gas. I need to build it and then do the fun part - experiment!

One thing I have to say about getting smoke flavor into pizza, if you can taste it, it's going to be very subtle at best, but most likely, not detectable at all simply due to the fact that the pizza has been exposed to smoke for such a short period of time.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #75
Jdawg

I agree Moose, I was thinking about that as well. When you only cook some for minutes, only so much smoke can get into the food. Plus, wife might like a meal that isn't smokey, lol! We eat a good amount of BBQ in our house