MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default removing skin from pork belly. (help)

So i've been getting my pork belly for bacon with the skin on and i'm not very good at removing the skin without hacking the belly all up. any brethren out there have any tips or tricks to get the skin off without messing up the belly or removing much fat? i've been looking for videos and pictures online and cant find much. is there a certain type of knife that works best. maybe a certain method?

i havent had any home cured bacon in about 2 or 3 weeks and im going through withdrawals

edit: i should have mentioned i like to cure my bellies with the skin off rather than curing with the skin on.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by chriscw81; 01-10-2013 at 05:59 PM..
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

can anyone tell what kind of knife is being used in this video? it seems like a knife with a rounded cutting edge would work better......

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I take mine off after smoking it while it's still warm and it just pulls right off. Just start one corner with a knife then using your hand pull it off in one sheet.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuddy View Post
I take mine off after smoking it while it's still warm and it just pulls right off. Just start one corner with a knife then using your hand pull it off in one sheet.
i guess i should have mentioned that i prefer to remove the skin before i cure the belly. i usually buy belly with the skin already removed but it hasnt been available like that lately.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

I use a fillet knife and a whole lot of patience. I try to find a corner that is loose as an easy starting point and grab it with a paper towel, pull back lightly and use a bunch of small cuts to slowly work the skin off of the fat layer.

I recently haven't found enough patience enough to do it, so I've been curing and smoking them skin on...they are easy to remove after smoking. They are even easy to remove (similar to tearing the membrane off of a rack of ribs) if they've fully cooled after smoking.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
realspaazz
Take a breath!

Using a skinning knife works best. The one in the video is a bit different, but this one is a good knife:
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...er/F46536.html

The skin is rather tough, so you are running your knife right up against it. It is mostly a "feel" thing... practice will help. Cutting the little finger holes like in the video works great.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by realspaazz View Post
Using a skinning knife works best. The one in the video is a bit different, but this one is a good knife:
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...er/F46536.html

The skin is rather tough, so you are running your knife right up against it. It is mostly a "feel" thing... practice will help. Cutting the little finger holes like in the video works great.

i guess i need to get myself a skinning knife. what are your thoughts on using a butcher knife like this one?

do you think the skinner knife would really work a lot better than a butcher knife with a curved edge? i ask because i have a $50 gift certificate to cabelas that i could use but they only have the butcher knife. thanks for help, by the way

Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
i guess i should have mentioned that i prefer to remove the skin before i cure the belly. i usually buy belly with the skin already removed but it hasnt been available like that lately.
Ahhh copy that!

Others have given you good advise.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

In the video the first knife is a straight boning or 'fillet' knife. The next one is a 7 inch curved boning knife. That's what I use. I have never seen a belly skin come off that easy. Trick photography ?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Sharp knife and do it while it is warm if you are curing with the skin on.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Slice it with skin on then take skin off each piece
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
deepsouth

check out this post from a thread i just posted about pork belly, relating to the skin....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=17

Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
chad

I'm with others: patience and a SHARP knife will get it done. Keep the blade going towards the skin, too. Like you do when you filet a fish. Good luck. I've got to order some pork belly soon!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote